Thread: tips for a small framed fighter who doesnt gain muscle well?

Thumbs up tips for a small framed fighter who doesnt gain muscle well?

hey guys im relatively new to this forum so here goes!

im an 18 year old 5"6, 66kg, budding (wannabe ) mma fighter, ive been doing thai boxing and kykushin karate for a few years and have my first semi pro fight coming up with the UCC (wish me luck!) and was wondering if you guys had any tips for improving my punching power and strength as i dont put on muscle well, i have a small frame but i can hit surprisingly hard with kicks and knees which ill put down to technique from muay thai, but im looking to improve my boxing game because at 5"6 and 18 most people are alot taller than i am compared to what they were when i was 16 as they were the same height! and i need to be able to put some stopping power into some body shots but dont know where to start as for whatever biological reason it takes me an unusually long time to put on any muscle! im not doing this for posing benefits so i dont need anything that improves how my physique looks im happy with how it is im more interested in something that will tip the stand up game in my favour! (hopefully!) greatly appreciate any feedback or tips no matter how small, cheers! danny

If you don't want to or cant gain size then the only other real way to build power is technique, No one does everything perfect every time but just work on your body mechanics and setting yourself up for the correct strikes, that should help but its not exactly a ground breaking secret sorry.

I am also 5'6" and 68 kgs but fortunately have a stocky build and power to match.

The best way to get up to strength is work with weights, find a weight you can just bench press 8 times, then slowly increase its weight each week and after a few months you will get stronger.

Do you really want to start off at semi when standup is not your strong point!

Attend a boxing gymn like me that will give you best stand up techniques.
    Mike "the mic" Persil

hey guys thanks for the reply, i may have been a bit modest with standup not being my "strong point", i do have the power to stop guys with head shots, and a usual gameplan is to work the legs then take it to the ground and finish it there, but im just looking to improve my power to take down the tougher opponents if they have great takedown defence, but thanks ill give the weights a go!

The other thing to look at if you dont gain mass that well could be your diet and are you actually eating enough to gain muscle? Just something to consider?
    Best of luck

none of this makes any sense. fight at your own weight. Fight at 61 KGs and you'll probably hit hard at that weight. trying to put excess muscle isnt the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    none of this makes any sense. fight at your own weight. Fight at 61 KGs and you'll probably hit hard at that weight. trying to put excess muscle isnt the way to go.
    +1

Gaining mass for MMA is stupid - build strength and power through technique and power training not hypertrophy.
    Sandbag Lifting and MMA S & C

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I'm no fighter but I was thinking this too.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

maybe ive not explained myself quite well enough, sorry guys! at the end of my first post i mentioned im not into gaining the muscle for size purposes, i mean are theyre any specific excersizes that target the areas needed to build POWER not MASS for my punches, as a thai boxer the technique in my legs and elbows are as useful as you would expect but sometimes you need just that little bit extra for when you get stuck in a standup war where you dont have much room or thinking time for technique, its just something to give me that extra advantage when im recieving heavy punches and need to get out of there by throwing some stiff punches that while they may sometimes lack in technique, it will have the neccesary training behind it to still have an effect, but thanks for taking the time to reply !