Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Countering the over the top grip?

The problem is that if they are doing the over the top properly then your postures broken (or at least your fighting to keep your posture) meaning that going for a flying armbar would be almost impossible.

I agree it's not easy to do especially if it's on my crap side.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

Don't allow them to get that grip in the first place.

I second flying armbar. Either that or seoi nage which is the throw i get caught with most as i take the over the top grip primarily

You say taller opponents so this may not be 100% relevant if you can't reach, but my old judo coach used to do this and he was 5ft 7 and I am 6ft. It put you off ever trying a top grip again.

I was taught to lift your same side arm over the top of their arm anti-clockwise (outside of their arm) with your elbow almost pointing down and fist pointing in the air. You then smash your elbow downwards and posture upwards at the same time - This strips the grip and puts them off doing it again. It needs to be very quick move in the same manner as a sleeve grip break, snap the move.
    Last edited by LukeH; 09-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeH View Post
    You say taller opponents so this may not be 100% relevant if you can't reach, but my old judo coach used to do this and he was 5ft 7 and I am 6ft. It put you off ever trying a top grip again.

I was taught to lift your same side arm over the top of their arm anti-clockwise (outside of their arm) with your elbow almost pointing down and fist pointing in the air. You then smash your elbow downwards and posture upwards at the same time - This strips the grip and puts them off doing it again. It needs to be very quick move in the same manner as a sleeve grip break, snap the move.
    Hmmm might give this go next I'm on the mat