Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phuket Muay Thai

Default Phuket Muay Thai

I know the "best gyms in Thailand" thing has been done a fair bit, so Ive been lookin at past threads and the links given. Really suprised at the quality of some websites to be honest! www.fightpassport.com seems to have some good reviews.

Anyway, I fancy Phuket for my maiden trip with a view to Bangkok in the future. Both cos the standard of gyms is more than good enough for me and Id like to enjoy the holiday aspect of the trip on days off etc. Im looking at trainining at Sinbi's in the mornings and some afternoons, with a few grappling sessions at Tiger Muay Thai to keep me ticking over. I know this might cost a bit so Im not kidding myself.

I can only find limited reviews. Could anyone give us a proper review for Sinbi's in particular for a Thailand virgin? their website gives a good description of classes but Id like to read an objective one. Im particularly interested to see whether a few privates would be good to book or whether you get enough one to one attention in the daily classes anyway.

Also as a first timer Id like to go where theres quite a few English/Europeans and where the vibe is serious in the gym and relaxed and clean out of it.

Cheers in advance guys.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

hey stapes

i've been to Sinbi five times now. My longest trip was for 5 months and my last trip there was in Nov 09 for a month. I'm heading back out there in November this year for 3-4 weeks.

The location of Sinbi is great. Its right beside Nai Harn beach - one of the nicest in Phuket and Rawai itself is a nice little part of the island. Not too developed but with everything you cpould possibly need. I much prefer the location to Tiger.

The gym itself is nice and clean and has plenty of room. There are 2 rings and about 12-15 bags. Usually there are around 8 trainers. A session usually comprises 15 mins skipping, 15 mins shadow boxing, some drills with trainers, then gloves on and into the ring for 5 rounds with your trainer. Then bag work and then drills ran by the trainers to work teeps, round kicks, knees on the bag for fitness. Then clinching or sparring.

The best trainers when I was there were Pot (still there), Ped (still there), Sing (sinbi himself), Met (who has moved back to BKK) and Son (who is travelling). But the new trainers are meant to be great too. They do private sessions outwith the normal sessions and these are great value and I learned tons with Son and Pot.

The gym is always clean and they've matted the floor now which is great.

I'd definitely recommend it. Great gym, great location, great people. Cant say fairer than that. Cant wait to get back in November.
    Last edited by Soreshins; 04-03-2011 at 03:31 AM.

there's always europeans at the gym and everyone has been really friendly the times i've been. made some good friends.

Also - Rawai itself is a very chilled out place to stay. It has bars and a club or two but there are some really nice places to stay where you can just relax and take it easy.

Chalong (where Tiger is) is a little bit inland and is on a busy road and just feels like a different world to me. Its only 10 mins on the moped from Rawai but i'd choose Rawai 10 times out of 10.

Go for it.

one last thing - i've never actually stayed at the gym itself. They have maybe 7 rooms on the gym but you'll have to share with some random. Great if you want to meet people but i'm a bit older and couldn't handle some young whippersnapper annoying my happiness so I always chose to stay in apartments a short moped ride/run away from the gym.

The gym has some resident english speakers on site so you'll have no problems with the lingo etc.

Counting the minutes til November!

i hav nothing to offer to the OP but are u guys pro fighters? cause to spend 5 month in thailand is alot?
    The clown has no penis

No - I'm not a professional fighter. I was 36 when I went over for 6 months. I always wanted to have a few fights and train properly in thailand so managed to get 6 months unpaid leave from work so just went for it. Best thing i've ever done.

Cheers mate that is exactly the info I was lookin for. well chuffed with what you've said and thats sold it for me.

Just a few things...how well can the trainers speak English or is this not a problem? I cant speak a word of Thai but Im planning on brushing up a little out of respect. Will defo need all the help I can get tho.

Also, are the private sessions difficult to book, as in, havent the trainers got their hands full with regular training?

How much am I looking at for a moped and is the commute from Sinbi to Tiger quite short?

Im looking at the private kingsize rooms at Sinbi. Any feedback on them, or can anyone recommend good accomodation close to Sinbi or Rawai?#

Im planning on behaving myself during the week, mayne the odd night out til midnight on water and saving any alcohol or late nights for the weekends. How far from party central would I be and how easy is transport?

Thanks again.
    Stapes

most trainers have some kinda english, you'll pick up some thai as you go along. my thai still sucks and i spend loads of time here, most people in phuket dont speak proper thai anyway. 99% of what i know is isaan.

easy to book privates, find a trainer you like and just ask him. be careful tho as they do have tendencys not to turn up or keep cancelling if you hvae payed upfront! thais and money doesnt mix to well lol

mopeds are 3000 or 4000 a month, sinbi to tiger isnt far but personally i think sinbi's location is pretty bad, middle of nowhere.

isnt far to patong from tiger but from sinbi its a bit of a mission, kata isnt far if you just wanna go there but its not half as good. i prefer to moped into town to go out but i find at most gyms you will find a group who will share a taxi with you making it nice and cheap.

The Thai language is mental mate. I tried learning a bit when I was there but gave up almost instantly. A word can mean an entirely different thing depending on the inflections you use when you pronounce it.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Cheers guys. Are the privates for an hour like over here?

Can anyone recommend the Rawai Guest House? Looks like a bargain and nice rooms.

What are the main party/bar areas? I take it Patong is quite a popular one.

Stapes