Thread: Starting training

Default Starting training

Hi guy's just wanted a bit of advice about to finally start training I'm wondering if it is acceptable as a new guy to wear a coloured Gi. Do most newbies wear white as rule of thumb?

As long is it's not tie die, fluoresent etc just turn up and train.

White, blue, or black are all perfectly fine. Anything else should be fine too, but there may be some who think you need a little special attention if you turn up in a camouflage gi covered in patches.

Thanks chaps, I've got a black gi so hopefully that will be acceptable

Black should be fine. I thought the same as you, that people will think I'm being cocky if I wear anything other than a plain white gi so that's what I bought. Then when I started I found that it was pretty even between white, blue and black and no-one batted an eyelid at who wore what.

Instead of colour i think the thing you gotta look for is BRAND !
    if someone comes in the gym with a koral gi im thinking they cant be a noob. buuutt i have been wrong on many occasions
    Brazilian Ju Jitsu Blue Belt- Royce Gracie.

I'm new to this forum and new to martial arts and been thinking for quite a bit about bjj classes, any advise on the best club to go to in sheffield and begginer classes only.

do not beware the beginner who has the blingiest gi, but the one with the most worn-out knee guards claiming he's never done any training before!
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Subzero - Gracie Barra Sheffield

Paul J - your surname isn't "johno" is it?!

My nickname in work is jonno but it's not my surname.