Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Martial Arts...

Talking New to Martial Arts...

Hi all, i'm Rob.

Never done any martial arts before but after watching it in many different forms decided to take the plunge and gain a better understanding / respect for it and hopefully compete one day.

Went to my first BJJ session on Tuesday and loved it. Will be going back on Tuesday for another!

Anyhow intro over.... If there are any tips, techniques or advice you can give that would be useful to a noob should know let me know!

Anything is appreciated

Cheers people!

Rob

Listen to your instructor.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Train more than once a week if you possibly can. Your progress will be very slow otherwise.

For the first 3 months don't try and power out of any submissions-you will get hurt.

Stay calm at all times (I know it's easier said than done when some meathead is dominating you from the top, but try and breathe well at all times and don't panic)- you need to be able to think clearly and not gas out. Don't spazz out. Don't try and muscle things (ie. don't headlock someone and squeeze as hard as you can). Basically, forget everything you think you know, only use what you are shown. Position before submission. Have a wash. Don't be afraid to tap. tap tap tap. Tap lots and often - it's how we learn (if you let it get to you, you cannot progress). Don't go out and buy the smartest, most expensive gear you can get your hands on too soon (the guys who can't necessarily afford the gear may resent you for it, and that sucks - especially if they're better than you). Go as often as you can, and the rest will follow.
    Good luck and keep at it. It's the most rewarding thing I've ever been a part of, and you get as much out of it as you put in.
    You will have good days and bad days. Don't get downbeat after a bad session, everyone has them. It's worth sticking out for that one session when you're on fire and everything clicks.

oooosss
    Last edited by Atlasmma; 05-03-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    Stay calm at all times (I know it's easier said than done when some meathead is dominating you from the top, but try and breathe well at all times and don't panic)- you need to be able to think clearly and not gas out. Don't spazz out. Don't try and muscle things (ie. don't headlock someone and squeeze as hard as you can). Basically, forget everything you think you know, only use what you are shown. Position before submission. Have a wash. Don't be afraid to tap. tap tap tap. Tap lots and often - it's how we learn (if you let it get to you, you cannot progress). Don't go out and buy the smartest, most expensive gear you can get your hands on too soon (the guys who can't necessarily afford the gear may resent you for it, and that sucks - especially if they're better than you). Go as often as you can, and the rest will follow.
    Good luck and keep at it. It's the most rewarding thing I've ever been a part of, and you get as much out of it as you put in.
    You will have good days and bad days. Don't get downbeat after a bad session, everyone has them. It's worth sticking out for that one session when you're on fire and everything clicks.

oooosss
    That's some good advice right there.

Drill Drill Drill !!
    Brazilian Ju Jitsu Blue Belt- Royce Gracie.

Cheers for the input guys. It's much appreciated!

I'll keep it all in mind. Funny you should say that about tapping lots lol. I indeed tapped quite a bit lmao was being tied up in knots for most of the rolling session but was a real eye opener to 1:how technical it was and 2:how good the guys were i rolled with lol

Im hoping to go twice a week. Only missed last Thursday as i had to stay on at work so hopefully should be able to make to sessions!

My advice:

Move the hips and not the lips

Always warm up

Take a supplement for joints

Have fun

Don't compare your self with others, focus on you own game

Don't waste money buying bjj books for the first year of training

Wash your gi

Don't get involved with the gym bitches who like to gossip

Try new things

Relax but don't be too relaxed as it breeds lazyness

buy a 2nd gi

Compete

Train often better to train 3 times a week constant than 5 days on then 3 weeks off

And most important (lose the ego)

be patient.

roll as often as you can (after class if there's an extra 15 minutes).

don't watch any submission 101 vids on youtube.

no matter how much you tap, ache, feel like you're not progressing......don't give up.