Thread: Absolute divisions at SGC II

Default Absolute divisions at SGC II

I was thinking rather than doing a begginers and advanced absolute that we might mix the beginners and advanced together and instead run an U73kg and an over 73kg absolute.

Obviously this is more of an issue for the begginers but fighting a more experience guy around a similar weight might be more appealing than a 58kg guy fighting a 110kg dude.

Thoughts please.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

I'd say keep it as beginner and advanced mate, you quite often see upsets in term of size differential as the speed and in some occassions the skill of the lighter competitors can allow them to work round the size and possible strength advantages of the bigger guys (I can think of a couple of examples from the recent Scottish Open in matches I reffed there). That's not to say you won't get upsets if you combine the divisions in this way, but I think it's less likely on paper.
    Scotlands No. 1 Timekeeper also available as a BJJ/No Gi referee

Rab keep it as it is pal. Don't change a God damn thing.

This might work but then again it is hard for beginners to enter in the first place, better off keeping the beginners and advanced seperate

Just my thoughts.

I say give the people what they want Rob........................A ROYAL RUMBLE!!

Last edited by brick; 15-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    Real men pull guard.

Yeah was speaking about it tonight and I'm just going to leave it.

If we have time i'll go with Bricks idea. That might work.

Quote Originally Posted by staffie View Post
    I was thinking rather than doing a begginers and advanced absolute that we might mix the beginners and advanced together and instead run an U73kg and an over 73kg absolute.

Obviously this is more of an issue for the begginers but fighting a more experience guy around a similar weight might be more appealing than a 58kg guy fighting a 110kg dude.

Thoughts please.
    Hey Rob, will all participants be eligible for Absolute?

Cheers.

Yes, everybody can enter the absolute.

Yea good choice you kept it, you'll find alot of the smaller guys actually like going against bigger guys too. Last time I entered an absolute I got the superheavyweight winner and kinda enjoyed it.
    Asa | www.granitecitygrappling.com

The Truth is the beginners divisions usually have more than their fair share of sandbaggers anyway so regardless of how you divide it some poor sod who's been training 4 months could end up with someone with multiple years experience they don't own up to