Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobia in BJJ...

Default Homophobia in BJJ...

... is it any worse than other sports?

Does your gym have lesbian/gay members? Would they be welcome (be honest and not just politically correct)? Or is it something you would have to keep hidden?

Do you do anything when people at your gym make homophobic comment?

We have all heard homophobic slurs either in training or at comps (e.g. that guys' a f*ggot), or even in instruction videos. I was just wondering why is it so acceptable?

Might take a bit of getting used to but I reckon the % of genuine homophobic people in gyms is relatively small. One of my old flatmates was a homo, and while I had no problem with him at all, it took a while to get used to and I'm sorry to say I found it a little awkward when he hugged me for fixing stuff in the kitchen or told me I smelt nice before I headed out to town etc. I know it shouldn't make me uncomfortable, but I think it'd take a while to get used to rolling with someone who swung that way, just because I have never really mixed with that kind of sexuality before.

It's the same as it'd take me a while to not have a boner if I was rolling with an attractive lady (compression shorts were invented for this).

One thing that would kind of suck is that it'd seriously put a dampener on the gay banter that is present in every single gym I've ever been to.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

dont tell anybody and wear a cup and you will be fine x

Generally homophobia doesn't seem to be too much of a problem in BJJ (at least not that I've seen, but then I'm straight, so may well not notice it as much). Having said that, it does happen: I wrote something on the topic a while ago with an example. A few gay BJJers responded in the comments, which may or may not be of some use to the OP.

If someone gets a boner rolling with anyone, gay or straight you can get out! Thats actually disgusting, only animals cant control themself unless you have medical/phychological issues or are 13 years old! Either way arousal during training is unsociable, unhealthy, weak,offensive and totally unacceptable if you gay or straight makes no odds.

But to answer the OP's questions, No Ive not seen anything too bad as most BJJers are generally quite intelligent, well educated and culturally sophisticated. Yes I believe I have seen gay/lesbian members in the past, it made no difference and I dont think anyone else noticed as they were too busy smashing. When people make a homophobic comment at the gym I smile if its funny, I frown if its not funny - Im flawed, Im human. Sexual slurs are accepted because being gay has connotations with being weak and men who go to gyms dont want to be weak so it seems to be a kind of affirmation of masculinity and strength thing with a bit of machismo bonding going on.

TBH though I think the amount of this behaviour is governed by the micro-society and demographics of the group so every gym will be different.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

I'm watching this thread and i don't like it.

Old scratch,your last post was the first post i've had to delete for a long time.i was disgusted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zefff View Post
    If someone gets a boner rolling with anyone, gay or straight you can get out! Thats actually disgusting, only animals cant control themself unless you have medical/phychological issues or are 13 years old! Either way arousal during training is unsociable, unhealthy, weak,offensive and totally unacceptable if you gay or straight makes no odds.
    I disagree. A boner is a wonderful, natural, BEAUTIFUL thing. If I get a boner for you, the correct response is to be grateful of this fabulous gift.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I'm watching this thread and i don't like it.

Old scratch,your last post was the first post i've had to delete for a long time.i was disgusted with it.
    Shit, sorry Simon.

My sense of humour isn't to everyone's taste. I shall watch what I post a little more closely in the future.

if your homophobic i doubt you would do a martial art where you had to roll around on the floor with sweaty guys for hours on end?,
    imagine a homophobe being triangle choked?, you have to have some confidence in your sexuality to have your head that close to a guys junk & not want to run out the door and never come back to a BJJ class again.
    I've never witnessed any homophobia & have never felt awkward rolling with anyone who i thought was gay, to be honest, the person im drilling/sparing withs sexuallity is the last thing on my mind.

I dont have a problem with peoples sexuallity, if they want to be gay/lesbian, thats up to them, im not and it dont think it has anything to do with training a martial art.

It's different when you're as good looking as me though. You have to be wary.