Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Grappling Challenge II 20th March 2011 Results

issue with a takedown is that it depends on how the guy lands as to whether it scores as a takedown immediately (if they land with both shoulders flat on the mat points are scored immediately) or whether they need to control them for 3 seconds(any other landing). Thats how it's written in the IBJJF rules.
    Scotlands No. 1 Timekeeper also available as a BJJ/No Gi referee

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor!! View Post
    I think amro boray is ur missing link from the abs, I think gary ward beat delaney and then amro faced scott ward and scott put him out, but then the ward bros done rock paper a think but not to sure it was a long day. and there were alot of dnft it was hard to keep up??

I have 1 question, why did some guys choose to rock paper and scissors but other guys choose to compete against 1 another. what are the views on this??

MY views on the competition were it was a good competition but i think jamie has pointed out this before so im not going to bring it back up but consistency of referee desicion must be final and no one should be influencing them to make any desicions, they are in that position for a reason because clearly they are experienced and understand the rules. I had a guy in a very heavy kimura and a person from the side had to advice the ref to stop this at that point, the guy that lost wasnt very happy but in all it might have been the best thing to do. I suppose you can see it from 2 sides of the coin,

Another thing I would like to see is maybe advantage points getting put to good use as the sudden death first point wins thing isnt very concrete, some guys were having to sustain a takedown and hold the position for 3seconds which is fair enough to get the point but other matches as soon as the guy hit the deck with even a sprawl it was over, just another grey spot am trying to point out.

ALL in ALL good competition the level of grappling in scotland has progressed which is encouraging to see, but it would be good to see other teams competing seeing as there are so bloody many of them in scotland!!! But every1 to there own thats my piece.
    Dude, as you know I was the ref, when you had the Kimura I went to the other side to see when the guy was tapping as his free hand was there, Gary Christie shouted that it looked as if his arm was about to break from the other side, I had a look and stopped it, you told me you heard his arm popping, I don't think there is anything wrong with that! He said he wasn't about to tap but agreed that he was not getting out. It looked bad and I didn't want his arm breaking. Pretty sure you didn't want to have to break the guys arm....

Advantages are a bit hit and miss, some refs may think it's almost a sweep etc, some might not. It's not something I'm keen on as I see a lot of dodgy calls at comps I go to. Losing by 1 adv is a shit feeling but maybe thats just me. I think 2 guys going for a takedown to win is good to watch. If people really don't like it then I'll change it as I would rather keep people happy than dig my heels in.
    Last edited by staffie; 22-03-2011 at 02:00 AM.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

IBJJF RULES
    A-) TAKE DOWNS: Any kind of knocking down the opponent or being taken down on his back side, 2 points. If the athlete is thrown to the ground and does not land on his back, the thrower must pin him to the ground in the same position for at least 3 seconds to gain the points of the take down.

Sounds a bit weird but your arse/backside/side is classed as your back. Scores immediatley, not landing on your "back" ie belly down must be held for 3 secs.

Just to clarify things. (sort of)
    Last edited by staffie; 22-03-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Can all the Advanced Division winners PM me with their addresses or to let me know if they can go to an EZ Sports store to pick up their prizes, also need sizes from the advancesd absolute division winner.

Cheers
    Last edited by staffie; 22-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Im not questioning the fact of your judgement it was pretty tight on, but it was throughout the comp, Just watching back the videos of some of the guys we had fighting, I feel the refs were influenced to much by side liners. yes a coach has his piece to say and its up to the ref to make the desicion if he feels his judgement is correct.

Fair play to all the guys that competed, it was a good day.

To reply to scotfight: so why do the guys from the same team go to enter the comp, why not just say you go in for that 1 il stay out, cause a small comp such as this ur gonna have to draw against each other soon enough if there are low numbers, its only a grapple comp its not an mma fight, nothing wrong with rolling with guys you train with, You do it in the gym all the time so whats the difference with other people watching?

Just a question, my views are maybe different but i would go in and compete against my team mate, we have no egos at our gym so i couldnt really care if my 3month student tapped me, its all good experience for every1.

Quote Originally Posted by staffie View Post
    IBJJF RULES
    A-) TAKE DOWNS: Any kind of knocking down the opponent or being taken down on his back side, 2 points. If the athlete is thrown to the ground and does not land on his back, the thrower must pin him to the ground in the same position for at least 3 seconds to gain the points of the take down.

Sounds a bit weird but your arse/backside/side is classed as your back. Scores immediatley, not landing on your "back" ie belly down must be held for 3 secs.

Just to clarify things. (sort of)
    Cheers dude, once again the standard of the English translation on the IBJJF site makes misinterpretation easy (it says back side which I was classing as a landing similar to ippon in judo) rather than what it says in the portugese rules which is back or side. They really need to sort that out.

In fact might be a project for me

Doctor

Plenty guys from the same clubs competed against each other as it was unavoidable and not competing only happened in the finals as its there choice. If people don't like that's fair enough.

Asking people not to compete because not enough competitors from other clubs haven't entered just limits the opportunities for them to gain experience.

With regards to egos, I don't think that's the case. Who can really get motivated to fight a team mate. This should motivate others though to enter, improve and break there stranglehold on things.
    Sportfight Scotland 13- Saturday 14th May 2011, Lanark Auction Market

Competing against a Team mate is a topic that could be discussed forever and ultimately comes down to the 2 individuals.

In grappling competitions it SHOULD be easier to compete against a team than in MMA (due to the fact that you won't be causing any damage) but again it comes down to the individuals.

Personally I don't buy all this 'we only roll in our Club, the only folk worthy of seeing our Team roll are our Team mates' as lets face it you entered a Competition, to compete!!

Surely testing yourself against a Team mate in the final will bring on your development (by having to compete under pressure for a medal in front of people who don't know you, as opposed to the usual guys you see every week at the Club) much more than doing a heads/tails scenario.

Not so sure about the ego part but I do think you should win your division as opposed to win it by default due to team mates.

Quote Originally Posted by The Choker View Post
    Competing against a Team mate is a topic that could be discussed forever and ultimately comes down to the 2 individuals.

In grappling competitions it SHOULD be easier to compete against a team than in MMA (due to the fact that you won't be causing any damage) but again it comes down to the individuals.

Personally I don't buy all this 'we only roll in our Club, the only folk worthy of seeing our Team roll are our Team mates' as lets face it you entered a Competition, to compete!!

Surely testing yourself against a Team mate in the final will bring on your development (by having to compete under pressure for a medal in front of people who don't know you, as opposed to the usual guys you see every week at the Club) much more than doing a heads/tails scenario.

Not so sure about the ego part but I do think you should win your division as opposed to win it by default due to team mates.
    Cracking post mate.