Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Grappling Challenge II 20th March 2011 Results

I think the fact that the guys had to beat the others in the division prior to getting to the final is kind of being overlooked here, it's not as if in every round a teammate stepped aside to let them advance
    Scotlands No. 1 Timekeeper also available as a BJJ/No Gi referee

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    I think the fact that the guys had to beat the others the division prior to getting to the final is kind of being overlooked here, it's not as if in every round a teammate stepped aside to let them advance
    Dont think so as the very fact that they are in the final proves that they beat other people.
    Was not at the event so looking on from the outside and am suprised at what I read about
    final. Cant really see the problem in competing against a team mate in a grappling final.

There was a comment in an earlier post that you should win your division, if you beat everyone else prior to the final and then decide not to contest that final then you have still won, you have beaten everyone else outside your team. It is done all the time on the BJJ circuit (Alliance & Atos in particular are two teams who have done this in black belt finals on more than one occassion). There is a school of thought that teammates going up against each other in a competitive environment, even in a grappling environment can cause bad blood. If you know someone on your team is going to be direct competition to you in an event are you going to help them in their training or look out for number 1 (note these are not my views, just one's I've heard before to explain the situation)

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    There was a comment in an earlier post that you should win your division, if you beat everyone else prior to the final and then decide not to contest that final then you have still won, you have beaten everyone else outside your team. It is done all the time on the BJJ circuit (Alliance & Atos in particular are two teams who have done this in black belt finals on more than one occassion). There is a school of thought that teammates going up against each other in a competitive environment, even in a grappling environment can cause bad blood. If you know someone on your team is going to be direct competition to you in an event are you going to help them in their training or look out for number 1 (note these are not my views, just one's I've heard before to explain the situation)
    If I was lucky enough to have the skills of the guys competing and got to a final against a teammate
    in a grappling comp. I personally would contest the final. Different of course in a MMA fight and if I was lucky
    enough to win I would brag about it in the gym for weeks noising up who i beat. All good natured of course as
    its part of the banter of a gym.
    On a side note, would spectators not feel short changed at these events if there was no final?

Unfortunately though dude as I mentioned it can go beyond banter and cause divisions. as for spectators it would a) depend on whether there was an entry charge for spectators, there wasn't on Sunday and b) where they there as fans or to cheer on friends, family or teamates or simply as fans of the sport. Fans I'd imagine would be disappointed (particularly in the likes of the mundials) but people there just to cheer on someone they know I can't imagine being too bothered by it

Do you personally think there would have been bad blood between the 2 guys if they fought in the final?
    The spectator comment was mainly aimed at the bigger events you mentioned meat as I would feel short
    changed if I never got to see a final. Especially if I had travelled quite a distance for it.

I think I answered that question in an earlier post where I stated that they were not my views mate. Spectators are , unfortunately, not viewed by many competition organisers as people they need to keep happy as they're not the ones who make a succesful event. The competitors are and they are the ones that need to be kept happy, so if guys are unhappy fighting teammates then the organisers will always allow finals (and in some cases semi's as well as happened at the Euros this year when Atos had all 4 semi final places) to be closed out. An exception is ADCC where as far as I remember fights must be contested, if there is any dodgy goings on your not invited back, two examples of which are Matt Serra (can't remember who he took a loss against, might have been Feitosa) and Rigan Machado (bowed out to Roger, the year Roger lost to Einemo).

Its unusual for a sport to disregard spectators that way. How many normally attend these major comps meat?

hey folks, i had to leave before the absolute comp finished and as such couldnt buy a cd of the photos. i have emailled the address on the business cards that were left lying around, but haven't got a reply yet. anyone got any ideas how/where i can get hold of the photos?
    thanks.

It really depends, there will be large amounts of both competitors (last years pan ams had 2,801 competitors apparently) and spectators but the difference is that the competitors are paying significantly more to compete than the spectators are to watch (early registration is over $90, late is somewhere between $110 and $120 for the pan ams, spectator fee is somewhere between $10 - $20 I think). As I mentioned ADCC is different as the guys do not pay to compete, it's ticket sales and sponsorship that brings in the cash there so they want things to be a bit more spectator friendly.