Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: thinking about studying law

  1. #1

    Default thinking about studying law

    anybody with a law degree on here or any solicitors with any advice?

  2. #2
    settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    9,247

    Default

    as your lawyer i advise you to leave this to the professionals.

    that sounds a great thing to do. lots of work and brainstrain. would be difficult, but i'm sure you'd be ok.

  3. #3

    Default

    If you're struggling to get accepted for a Law degree, and they are notoriously difficult to get on, then a good alternative is to get on a degree course that's a bit less popular, do your three years, then do the 1 year conversion course - which effectively puts you in the same situation as if you'd done a full Law degree. I got accepted on one of those conversion courses after I'd wasted my time studying Chemistry, but couldn't raise the funds to do it.

    Oh yeah, more advice, be prepared for a lot of debt
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    as your lawyer i advise you to leave this to the professionals.

    that sounds a great thing to do. lots of work and brainstrain. would be difficult, but i'm sure you'd be ok.
    As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. You won't need much, just a tiny taste.

    Become an Accountant ... its easier

    If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    If you're struggling to get accepted for a Law degree, and they are notoriously difficult to get on, then a good alternative is to get on a degree course that's a bit less popular, do your three years, then do the 1 year conversion course - which effectively puts you in the same situation as if you'd done a full Law degree. I got accepted on one of those conversion courses after I'd wasted my time studying Chemistry, but couldn't raise the funds to do it.

    Oh yeah, more advice, be prepared for a lot of debt
    thanks dude ive been accepted on a law degree, its just weighing things up like the cost!


    and thanks for the other sound legal advice

    Bateman, numbers and me just dont mix sadly......

  6. #6

    Default

    Yeah that's the main thing for a "big" degree like Law or Medicine, it costs a lot more than most other degrees. I suppose the main thing to focus on now is where the money is coming from, and worry about studying later. Congrats on being accepted
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    Yeah that's the main thing for a "big" degree like Law or Medicine, it costs a lot more than most other degrees. I suppose the main thing to focus on now is where the money is coming from, and worry about studying later. Congrats on being accepted
    cheers! the thing that annoys me is the university cannot tell me what the year 2 and 3 fees will be. This year is a reasonable 3,700 but if the next year goes to say 7k? I thought the fees would be frozen if you got in this year, but it appears not from what I was told on the phone. Also the lpc fee is 10k now but what if its 20 k in 3 years when im ready? Its almost a gamble on fees at the moment

  8. #8

    Default

    I'm pretty sure If your first year is 3,700 the university can't/won't increase it because it stays the same throughout your degree.

  9. #9

    Default

    Shit, yeah. That does seem like a gamble. As long as your comfortable with the extra debt, I'm sure a suitable loan deal is available. Perhaps a bit of "amateur horticulture" might ease the financial burden too, haha. No risk, no... pisk?
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

  10. #10

    Default

    I'm a solicitor and I have advised anyone looking to go into the law not to do it unless you have a real passion for the law and even then to think carefully about where they want to be in 6 years time.

    Most the solicitors I know hate it. Its tough, unforgiving work and most people spit at you once they they find out what you do for a living.

    If you want to make money there are far easier ways of doing it. If you are genuinely drawn to law then go in with your eyes open.

    Job prospects are grim ( i have been out of work since July last year), there is an over-abundance of candidates, not enough training contracts/pupilages. The LPC/BVC are going to be at least 12K by the time you get round to doing it.

    The industry is changing because of "Tesco Law", insurance fees, the attacks on legal aid and the economy being rubbish.

    Putting it realistically you'll have to be prepared to work for free as a paralegal in order to get experience. You'll be debt ridden,stressed and "overqualified" for other jobs (as I recently found out when I applied for a post room role),

    Unless you have connections/links then you'll find it tough getting you foot in through the door even if you are from a "name" university.

    The degree itself is great and I enjoyed it but think carefully before pursuing a career in it.

    Good luck (you'll almost certainly need it)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.