Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worst martial art for injuries...

Default worst martial art for injuries...

What would you consider the worst style for injuries?

i.e. BJJ/Judo - common for torn ligaments / strains in kness etc...

Would you consider stand up / striking arts as 'safer' from joint problems (as not as much twisting involved whilst grappling)?

Has anyone had any bad injuries in their time that has had long term effects or forced them to give up martial arts altogether?
    Last edited by alberto; 26-03-2011 at 11:09 AM.

For me, Judo, especially when you are sparing with noobs because they will haphazardly slam you down with out caring.

Quote Originally Posted by the mid 90's View Post
    For me, Judo, especially when you are sparing with noobs because they will haphazardly slam you down with out caring.
    To be fair mate; I do that too, but that's just because I'm a bit of a prick

MMA. Put someone in crutches earlier in the week after a takedown. Shit happens, innit. Bet Judo's bad for injuries though.

Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post

i.e. BJJ/Judo - common for torn ligaments / strains in kness etc...

Would you consider stand up / striking arts as 'safer' from joint problems (as not as much twisting involved whilst grappling)?

Has anyone had any bad injuries in their time that has had long term effects or forced them to give up martial arts altogether?
    It depends what you mean by long term effects
    I broke my leg in four places in 2004 in a grappling accident. I can run 10 miles without any problem but still occasionally walk with a limp although if I wear combat style boots every day (rather than shoes) I can reduce the number of days the limp comes on, Of course, I run in running shoes (not in boots)
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

All combat sports are prone to injuries....

I think Judo has perhaps a higher injury rate than most. The worst injury I ever had was a broken leg from doing Judo - was out for around 4-5 months - was horrible....

Currently nursing a neck injury from training BJJ - hoping it isn't anything too serious.....

Even if you're training stand-up, you still risk injuries. I've seen some nasty injuries (leg breaks, rib injuries, facial damage/concussion/KOs) from Muay Thai.....

Injuries are part and parcel of all combat sports - I guess all you can really do is try to minimize the risk as much as you can by training smart and not going crazy during sparring....

Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Rugby. By a mile.

Judo, without doubt. Apart from my own limited experience of the sessions being impossible to get through without painful damage, you only have to look at the toll inflicted on ageing competitors. Hip replacement before the age of 40? Standard.

So fuck Judo. No disrespek intented
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

Judo. I've done alot of different arts and got various injuries from all of them, mostly minor ones, but Judo gave me by far the most. Its effective training but very very tough on the body.
    Fitch's fan

Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    Judo, without doubt. Apart from my own limited experience of the sessions being impossible to get through without painful damage, you only have to look at the toll inflicted on ageing competitors. Hip replacement before the age of 40? Standard.

So fuck Judo. No disrespek intented
    Ha aye I agree with last couple of posts about Judo, Ive been to a handfull of sessions over the years and have had a couple of injuries like strained neck muscle, which still tweaks now and again, and lower back strain! (thought id done something more serious that time as I could hardly walk for few days after it)

Is an effective MA though