Thread: gap year travels - advice

Default gap year travels - advice

Iím off on the first of my gap year travels at the beginning of may. Iím going to south east asia and as i know many of you have been there before iím asking for any advice on place i definitely should go and places itís not worth seeing. Any other info on places to stay/eat, bars to go to, beaches, anything at all worth visiting would be greatly appreciated.

My itinery is
    Arrive with friend in Hanoi 6th of may
    Make my way down to ho chi mihn for 19th of may Ė leave friend
    Go through Cambodia
    Visit Bangkok
    Finish up in phuket
    Leave from phuket airport on 5th of june

Iíve put this is the muay thai area as i know a lot of people who train thai go to Thailand (no shit Sherlock) but feel free to move it to anywhere else if thats where it should be.

Thanks

When I first went to Phuket this site helped me no end. http://www.phuket-info.com/forums/

It also has info on the whole of SE Asia.

If you're coming down through Cambodia, I'd 10000% endorse that you visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Both amazing and beautiful cities. I didn't care for Bangkok when I was there and preferred Chiang Mai by a country mile. Best thing I did in BKK was watch fights, and I'd certainly advise that you pay a visit to the Lumpinee stadium, but CM beats BKK hands down, for me.
    Spend a day at the Elephant Nature Reserve in Chiang Mai and you will list it in the top 5 things you've ever done, I guarantee.
    If BKK is a must for you (I guess you have to experience it for yourself), I would advise the night train from CM. Cuts through some amazing countryside and you get to see the real Thailand. It's cheap (when you think about it also being a nights accommodation, it's a bargain!) and comfortable (as long as you pay the tiny bit more for the air-conditioned carriages - I cannot stress this enough - DO NOT think it'll be cheaper and better to get the non-air-con).
    Also, if you are not familiar with Thailand, any Thai person who speaks to you is 100% trying to rip you off in one way or another (and they're very clever about doing it). If you speak to a Thai person for help, 9/10 times they will be the most friendly, helpful, genuine people you will ever meet, but if THEY approach YOU, then you are their Farang target.
    Couple of tourist rules - Don't go in a temple wearing shoes or shorts or shot-sleeve tshirts and if the national anthem plays, stand to attention and face the nearest huge portrait of the president. Also, always eat Thai. It's amazing and the cheapest food you will find anywhere.
    Enjoy!
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    any Thai person who speaks to you is 100% trying to rip you off in one way or another (and they're very clever about doing it).
    This is correct. Especially the girls. They have sex with you and then want money afterwards. I was caught by this trick over 50 times.

Oh, and Siam Rice cookery school in Chiang Mai is an excellent shout, also.

Getting our cook-on with Pot (who is blatantly a playa by the way he gives you tips on where to pick up cheap girls - Don't tell his wife who runs the school)
    Last edited by Atlasmma; 04-04-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    This is correct. Especially the girls. They have sex with you and then want money afterwards. I was caught by this trick over 50 times.
    its glad its not just me this has happened to, ive lost count of the amount of times ive been caught out by this trick! its worse when its two girls and they both make you pay, i dont know how i fell for that one! bad times...