Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With My Stance!

Default Help With My Stance!

Hey guys, Ive been watching UFC and WEC and some others shows for a while, and Ive decided Its something I want to do, Ive been going to the GYM trying to bulk up and get good cardio and eat well.

Im starting Muay Thai next week as a main fight style, but im not sure what stance I should use, Im left handed and right footed, But when I stand up and think about a fight, I have my left foot foward, From what Ive read or seen this isnt normal?

Should I have my right leg foward and learn that before I go to Muay Thai classes ?

I will be starting BJJ soon also

Thanks.

If you're left handed and right footed... I'd say Orthadox stance, as kicks are a bigger part of Muay Thai.

P.S. I also wanted to do UFC and WEC after i saw it.

Bulk up? Why would you wanna bulk up?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Bulk up? Why would you wanna bulk up?
    Coz the bigger the can, the more whoopass it contains.
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

Wouldn't surprise me that some people still think like that.

Don't let anyone tell you which way to stand, it should come naturally to you and you'll know which way feels right or not. Stand how you would stand on a skateboard. It always confuses me when people don't know which stance they are. From as long as I can remember as a kid, we would dick about pretending to be karate kid or something. Don't you ever take a boxing stance with your mates for lols or something? Well whatever way you do that, that's your natural stance.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    Coz the bigger the can, the more whoopass it contains.
    Ow I like that quote lmao.

Luckily I do just submission grappling so I don't have to worry about this in much detail BUT:

I'm right handed.

Left footed to kick with but I kick a football with my right.

...... I have a funky as f*ck grappling stance tbh lol

Do whatever feels natural as stated above.
    like atlas said just square up to a friend and see which foot you put forward.
    i personally switch stances all the time depending on what i want to do eg. speed, power, kicks takedowns etc. (shoot off orthodox but mainly box from southpaw, speed off southpaw but power off orthodox) i really should sort myself out but it seems to work as people can't seem to get my timing down

I'm pretty lucky with my stance as I'm right footed but my left side is stronger so I have the advantage of being coordinated with my back limbs, and have the power foot forward (which is what wrestlers do, so I have a decent double-leg from my regular stance). The downside is that my punches are pretty negligible.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Hmm, Just thought about it, I stand with left food foward, but when id go for a takedown I feel like id push off my right ? Is this really bad ?

and I wana bulk up a little because im 18 and weight 8.5 stone :/