Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharwoods Bhut Jolokia curry sauce

Default Sharwoods Bhut Jolokia curry sauce

Not sure if there's too many curry fans on here, but thought I'd post here in any event.

I'm not usually a big fan of supermarket curry sauces, but Sharwoods have brought this new one out which comes with a warning and everything. I do like a good hot curry, so thought I'd give it a go, but having researched the chili in question I've become rather concerned that:

"In northeastern India, the peppers are smeared on fences or incorporated in smoke bombs as a safety precaution to keep wild elephants at a distance" and, slightly more worryingly:

"In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the peppers in hand grenades, as a non lethal way to flush out terrorists from their hideouts and to control rioters. It will also be developed into pepper spray as a self defense product".

So, yeah, I'm now a little more apprehensive about trying this weapon-based sauce. Has anybody else had any experience with it?

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

TTT for Weapon-based sauce!!!

You'll probably be alright eating it. Think about how much it hurts if you rub your eyes (or god-forbid, have a wank) after slicing regular bell peppers, and they're not even remotely hot to eat.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

F*ck yeah, I'm off down town to have this tonight.

I love hot sauces wahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

If you want hot, you wanna try my Phal Curry. Tomato coulie, chicken, cumin, corriander and 30 finger chillies, 3 teaspoons of hot chilli powder, Tablespoon of pataks Madras curry paste and a tablespoon of ketchup. Knock your 'ead off mate.

if it was that hot they wouldnt sell it in a supermarket. get it down you

Quote Originally Posted by dunny View Post
    if it was that hot they wouldnt sell it in a supermarket. get it down you
    They really would, Indian wholesalers and the like have been selling them for a long time. Most people call them Naga or Naga Morich from the Bengali.

If you look at the Scollville Scale, the only things that come above Naga are pepper spray, various Capsaicin varieties and pure Capsaicin. Dorset have grown Dorset naga for along time now, and are considered one of the hottest chilli's in the world.

They're very sweet at first, similar to how Roquito is, then have a really over-powering heat which I can only compare to being bitten a couple of hundred times on the inside of your mouth.
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

an indian wholesaler and a supermarket are 2 different things

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If you want hot, you wanna try my Phal Curry. Tomato coulie, chicken, cumin, corriander and 30 finger chillies, 3 teaspoons of hot chilli powder, Tablespoon of pataks Madras curry paste and a tablespoon of ketchup. Knock your 'ead off mate.
    Odd recipe aside, this is correct. Phal is the sherriff of curry town
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson