Thread: Mma & popular culture questions

Default Mma & popular culture questions

im doing an essay on MMA in popular culture, so just looking for some answers to add opinions to my essay, would appreciate it if you can explain your view

Why do you train / fight / watch ?

What do you think the general public think of
    MMA / "CAGE FIGHTING"/ "UFC" ? Do you think the view is fair ?

Do you think it's good for society , or bad ?
    What positives and negative can society take out of it ?

Does MMA get the respect it deserves ? (from other sports, medical associations, stereotyping fans etc)

Does MMA get the respect it deserves, in films, tv, music, newspapers ?

Why do you fight?

Well I fight, so you don't have to fight. That way you can use your head for somethin' instead of a pucnhin' bag like I do

What do you think the general public think of
    MMA / "CAGE FIGHTING"/ "UFC" ? Do you think the view is fair ?

Don't care, people are stupid and their opinion is irrelevant, although they're entitled to their opinion.

Yeah.

Doing it or watching it? Doing MMA will help with weightloss, vitality, healthy lifestyle, confidence and a general positive way of life. Negatives are injuries. Watchin' it makes you wear tapout, troll Cagewarriors, start fights in Mcdonalds and shout "Just Bleed" at the TV when UFC is on.

Does MMA get the respect it deserves ? (from other sports, medical associations, stereotyping fans etc)

Not as much as, say, boxing and Rugby which are highly respected "Sports". MMA is still very much as regarded as Ferrell and barbaric with no rules. It's a shame as there's so much involved. Cagefighting aint brutal, it's like a chess game... but with people hitting themselves in the head, extremely violently.

Not really, what with Cagefighter Alex and Kate reality shows, the daft MMA films out and the press jumping at every opportunity to use the "cagefighting" stigma in a negative light, it's a complete circus IMO.
    Last edited by Luke; 05-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Why do you train / fight / watch ?-I just love the sport. Originally used to love prowrestling & got into the UFC because I was training martial arts & was interested plus prowrestler Ken Shamrock was in the first show which I got on good old VHS shortly after the event.
    From there on I was hooked & my interest in prowrestling dwindled.

What do you think the general public think ofMMA / "CAGE FIGHTING"/ "UFC" ? Do you think the view is fair
    -I think the general public view of MMA is still very much "CAGE FIGHTING". It's still seen by most as just violence with no interest to see the dedicated years of training put in by fighters or seeing the skills involved.
    A lot of this though was down to the original promotion of the early UFC's when the sport was known as NHB (No Holds Barred) where it was advertised that Death was a way to lose the fight!!
    I think to those not involved MMA fighters are seen still as the barbaric drunken louts you see on a Saturday night scrapping outside a kebab shop. Shows like The Ultimate Fighters & MMA's growth have helped against this but still the public perception.
    It's moved on a lot but still some promoters want to focus on the violence rather than the professional athletes but then it's an easier sell I suppose.
    Plus a lot of people may have watched early UFC's & been put off for life. Really not sure how I'm still a fan after sitting through Ken vs. Royce 2, Ken vs. Severen 2 or Severn vs. Kimo. Very boring fights before rules were changed to make it more exciting for the fans.

Personaslly I don't understand how the sport of MMA isn't the biggest sport in the world as so visceral & so exciting, plus looking beyond that so technical.

-How is it any worse than any other sport? In fact looking at other sports they have far higher rates of serious injury & deaths.
    Its the fact that for the most part it's in a cage that it looks so violent, ironic that it actually stops fighters falling out and really injuring themselves.
    MMA has still managed to retain a degree of the honourable martial arts spirit. In the martial arts realm tapping out is not frowned upon, in boxing however Roberto Duran's career was haunted by his shouts of No mas, No Mas

The negative is simply that it is violent. Some people just can't accept that violence has it's place even within a modern society. Boxing has been classed as too barbaric for many years but never got banned.

Does MMA get the respect it deserves ? (from other sports, medical associations, stereotyping fans etc)It's starting to but MMA as a sport is still young & so obviously the focus remains on more mainstream & established sports.

-The fact that in the last couple of years there have been MMA based films is certainly a step in the right direction, sadly the films haven't been great but even the fact that they got made in the first place is a huge plus for the sport.
    A couple of the papers cover the sport but even those don't give the sport that much attention.

As for TV, at the moment we have UFC on ESPN, Extreme shows WEC & Strikeforce repeats, plus several of the UK promotions have deals to be shown as well which is quite strong for a spoort that is still growing.