Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georges St. Pierre: "I can beat Anderson Silva." Says Jake Shields can too.

Default Georges St. Pierre: "I can beat Anderson Silva." Says Jake Shields can too.

No disrespect to GSP, but I think he would have a tough time with Silva's length and overall size advantage. Saying Jake Shields could beat Silva is laughable imo.

Source: http://fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Geo...s-can-too.html

I'd rather see Anderson Silva fight Jon Jones rather than GSP....
    Last edited by Jogs D; 15-04-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos5 View Post
    Saying Jake Shields could beat Silva is laughable imo.
    I don't know, Shields did grapplefuck Hendo for 5 rounds! He may not be as big as Sonnen but his wrestling is top notch as is his submission game. I would pick Silva but I wouldn't be massively confident about it.

Could very easily see Shields doing a Chael to Silva but more sub attempts?

i laughed a friend had posted a link to an article on sherdog and i looked in their forum they're writing jake shields off saying he has no wrestlingwas thinking to myself wonder if they watch anything thats outside the ufc

He's not going to say 'Anderson would beat me', is he? But to be honest i'd prefer Silva fought Jones as well

To many people underestimate shields.

He pretty much dominated Henderson for 5 rounds and not many people can say that have done that.

He could very well decision anderson.

he dominated henderson for 4 rounds but not many people have done that fresh let alone after the first round that shields had he's never in pretty fights but he always makes people fight his fight his stand up is awful but he's so single minded about how the fights going to go its never made that much difference

Regardless of how he does against GSP, Shields style would cause major problems for A Silva. There really isn't any point in anyone trying to outstrike Anderson as there's no-one around at that level strikingwise, but as an excellent wrestler with a top notch submission game, Shields has the tools to make Anderson Silva look very mortal.

I also personally think that Shields is too big to be welterweight. He sometimes struggles with the cut and this is to his detriment as a fighter IMO. He'd be an even more dangerous fighter at middleweight.

Glad to see that GSP is taking Shields very seriously. He needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    I'd rather see Anderson Silva fight Jon Jones rather than GSP....
    completely agree!

I think Shields is an awesome talent, but i don't think he beats GSP OR Anderson, here's my logic...

His standup closely resembles that of someone at the end of their first boxing lesson ever, when they are totally gassed out, which has been recorded and then played back in slow motion lol ! i.e. its horrible!

He has amazing wrestling and an absolutely world class submission game, but against a really elite striker with good length/range, will struggle immensely to set up his takedowns.

His success against good strikers has predominently came against strikers who have one of fast hands, punching power or a long reach (good use of range). GSP and Anderson have all three, add to this that GSP has amazing wrestling and Anderson is not an easy guy to take down. I see Shields getting horribly smashed up whilst attempting to zombie walk his way in to takedowns agianst both of those two.

To play MMaths for a minute (as others have done so above) ...

Sonnen took Silva down repeatedly yes, but he explodes in to (and right through) his takedowns in a very different way to Shields who tends to vice grip and clinch his!

Josh Koscheck is a better wrestler than Shields and also a better striker, yet didn't come close to taking GSP down recently.

Shields beat Henderson who has very little timing and handspeed (although does have massive power) and Daley who used lots of kicks which resulted in him being taken down and then became so wary of being taken down it affected his standup.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchboy View Post
    I also personally think that Shields is too big to be welterweight. He sometimes struggles with the cut and this is to his detriment as a fighter IMO. He'd be an even more dangerous fighter at middleweight.

Glad to see that GSP is taking Shields very seriously. He needs to.
    agree with this bit
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'