Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Thank you to Essex Open

Default Big Thank you to Essex Open

reasonably well run comp, excellent standard at all grades.

The superfights were great.

Big Thanks, I hope you run another event soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfofdoom View Post
    reasonably well run comp
    Only reasonably well run? Any constructive criticism you'd like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchboy View Post
    Only reasonably well run? Any constructive criticism you'd like to share?
    the only thing that bugged me was that the superfights caused a massive delay in some of the divisions as all the mats were cleared. other than that it was smooth

Dont forget that one of the super fights both fighters had conflicting information about the fight times, Leo thought 10 mins and Eduardo thought 6 (Bit weird seeing as the clock said 10, the last fight also had 10 on the clock and the demonstration was 10) - thats what the stoppage/confusion was all about. No idea why Eduardo did not man up and actually give the audience an extra four minutes - perhaps the advantage of nearly passing an open guard got to his head or maybe conditioning - whatever it was it was a good show outside of that
    Last edited by ShaolinSubz02; 30-04-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Is Leo back in the UK for a while now? Where will he be teaching?

He is teaching in Bristol at Pedro Bessa's academy. It was good to see him again - a very humble dude indeed and the best instructor I have met yet

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    Dont forget that one of the super fights both fighters had conflicting information about the fight times, Leo thought 10 mins and Eduardo thought 6 (Bit weird seeing as the clock said 10, the last fight also had 10 on the clock and the demonstration was 10) - thats what the stoppage/confusion was all about. No idea why Eduardo did not man up and actually give the audience an extra four minutes - perhaps the advantage of nearly passing an open guard got to his head or maybe conditioning - whatever it was it was a good show outside of that

Show some respect, and get your information straight before you post!

The fight was advertised on the website as a masters fight (which is 6 minutes long) which is the time Eduardo was told. Leopoldo emailed to ask for confirmation of the fight time and was told 10mins (I believe the person doing the emails/website may not have known the difference between adult and masters fight times.)
    So Leo was told and went in prepared for 10mins and Eduardo was told and went in prepared for 6mins.

Just to clarify a demonstration can be as long as you like and the previous fight was an adult black belt fight which is 10 mins long.

Unfortunately the miscommunication wasn't realised until 2 minutes into the fight. From then on you had a bit of a no win situation for everyone involved as it was unfair on Leo to shorten the time, unfair on Eduardo to lengthen the time (as the more advanced guys on here will know you are going to be playing a different game for a 6 min fight than you are for a 10 min fight). and both guys were understandably upset. There was some discussion between the 3 referees and the fighters and the match resumed.
    At 8 minutes the match was stopped again (time called by the ref), at this stage Eduardo had scored an advantage for an attempted guard pass and Leo had yet to score. There was some further debate with the refs and the fighters, with Leo wanting the full 10min fight and Eduardo wanting the 8min compromise between the 2 times. (as i couldn't hear what the refs were saying I can't comment on whether an 8min compromise time had been agreed but the ref was the one that stopped the fight) then both fighters were stood up and the match continued for another 2 mins during which time Leopoldo scored an advantage making the score 1 advantage each. The ref held both hands up at the end calling it a draw (something that shouldn't happen under IBJJF rules, in which the referees need to make a decision).

So yes after agreeing to, training for and fighting the first 2 mins for a 6min match, Eduardo then agreed to an extra 2min for a compromise time and when he would have won (as he was an advantage up) he then fought the extra 2 mins (which they were stood up for, rather than continuing from the same position) making the full 10mins at the end of which it was a draw!
    Last edited by Banana; 30-04-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Proud to be sponsored by tatamifightwear.com

Other than that the competition ran pretty well and there was a really good atmosphere, pretty loud with plenty of people cheering for their guys
    Proud to be sponsored by tatamifightwear.com

yes Pippa, as I said. eduardo was told 6 and Leo 10. I show respect when its deserved

In my opinion the disputes over time effectively made it a no contest.