Thread: older grapplers: flexibility / stretching for grappling

Default older grapplers: flexibility / stretching for grappling

I've always been naturally quite flexible and so I've taken if for granted quite a lot and maybe not stretched out as much as I should when training.

Now I'm 35 and my knees, ankles and hips/groin are pretty jacked, hampering my ability to do the things I could always do pretty easily before.

Was just wondering what kind of stretching regime people follow, particularly those of you who are a bit older. Any good stretching resources/books you could recommend would be great too!

I'm 32 now and I feel your pain brother. What has helped me is adding yoga to my training. There is a Instructional DVD out called Yoga For Fighters by Phil Migliarese III that is pretty cool. You could also check out a couple of yoga classes in your area. Doing Yoga 1 or 2 days a week should help, it sure has done wonders for me!!!!

Pfft, you kids!

I am older than the pair of you, I am struggling with tendonitis at the moment of my shoulder / bicep, just trying to work through it but its been fecked for months, if either of you or anyone else has advice on what the hell I should do, I'm all ears myself

Stretching pre workout isn't supposed to be good for you though, don;t quote me but puts stress on the facia of the muscles, you are better off doing erm..cant think of the term...stuff like squat jumps, press ups, stuff that activates the muscles not stretches it (meh, I should go dig out some magazines that explain it far better than I am doing!!) Stretches should be done post workout...
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

dynamic stretching vs static stretching..... I think that's what you mean Evzy! I've been reading a lot about this recently, all said I tend to warm up, do conditioning (abs, press ups, core strength etc) and then stretch before drilling techniques and then again at the end of the session.

I'd suggest yoga too... it helped me loads

Cheers sly thats the one! Sadly I was sat on the bog last night reading an article and it mentioned it and I thought oooo shit I need to go post that, but, I was in the middle of serious business and by the time said business was complete I forgot!

I have found static stretching after leg training helps massively compared to not bothering, I am lazy when it comes to warm ups and warm downs at times, got away with no injuries for a long time but they sure do catch up sooner or later!

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Pfft, you kids!

I am older than the pair of you, I am struggling with tendonitis at the moment of my shoulder / bicep, just trying to work through it but its been fecked for months, if either of you or anyone else has advice on what the hell I should do, I'm all ears myself

Stretching pre workout isn't supposed to be good for you though, don;t quote me but puts stress on the facia of the muscles, you are better off doing erm..cant think of the term...stuff like squat jumps, press ups, stuff that activates the muscles not stretches it (meh, I should go dig out some magazines that explain it far better than I am doing!!) Stretches should be done post workout...
    Enzy, I have the same problem as you at the moment. Check out this website it's really good for self treating injuries, and ive been doing the shoulder, biceps and its really helped.

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/

Ah cheers dude, will have a look at that right now

Since ive been in my 30's I take longer for my warm up-incorporating drills an stuff to keep it interesting.
    Muscles nice an warm, some dynamic stretching- high kicks etc
    After training some static/developmental stretching- nice and slow,holding stretch without bounce for a couple of mins. come out of stretch a bit,repeat.

Find a Fascial Stretch Therapist in your area, its table based stretching and in a 1 hour session you get amazing gains in your flexibility.
    Im based in crawley if anyone near by, or just google search for your nearest. More info on my website www.stretchingperformance.co.uk