Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch Wrestling Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cujo
    I trained in bjj for just over 4 years, after 3 years mainly focused on no gi though.

The main differences between rolling with a catch guy and a bjj guy were:

1. Very difficult to attack from the guard(s) just about all the guys were very good at neutralising most of the attacks, they did this through using their bodyweight more effectively, maintaining proper posture and a good use of wrist/control.

2. The use of "rips" or pain compliance to deter you from moving through certain positions, for example, trying to place the shin across the belly to recover closed guard usually resulted in a painful shin ride or even worse a toe hold, after being daunt with see a few times you really felt weary of trying to recover guard in this manner.

3. "take the slack out of it!" was something kris emphasised when putting on joint locks, things like the top wrist locks (Americana) or the double wrist lock (kimura) we way tighter!!!! They have a different way of gripping the wrist and hand and add a small twist to the movement to tighten all the locks, you are literally tapping as they are going on!

4. They tend to "ride" an opponent as opposed to simply lying on them to maintain position, being on the bottom position literally sucks! You find it very difficult to concentrate on mounting any kind oaf offense as you cant breathe! Just relentless pressure all the time.

5. Generally a wider choice of submissions, as they employ the use of more neck cranks, bicep/calf slicers, etc. There were some definite improvements to my whole leg lock game, from set ups to actual execution.

6. The whole approach to takedowns, they set them up really well from the clinch as opposed to telegraphing a shot, most of the CACC throws are painful as your being thrown, let alone the landing!

These are just a few things that stuck in my head from my experience rolling with them....
    come back cujo you fucking faggot and explain how you're now a catch wrestling coach charging 8 a session after a week in montreal
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by cujo
    I’ve recently returned home from a great trip to Montreal, Canada, having spent the last week of intensive training with Coach Kris Iatskevich and his team at the ISWA. The week has been an incredible experience with Kris and his team sharing some great technique and grappling strategies with me. The standard of grappling I was exposed to was of an incredibly high standard, with even the newer members of the team demonstrating some immense technical ability during sparring sessions.

My trip came about following web based conversations with coach Kris about CACC wrestling, fro these conversations it was easy to see just how much CACC means to Kris and how passionate he is in keeping authentic CACC wrestling alive. Following our conversations, Kris was kind enough to extend an invitation to me to come and train with him directly with his team in Joliette. I had been playing around with several CACC concepts in my own training and was keen to gain first hand coaching so took Kris up on his kind offer.

On my arrival I was met at the airport by Kris, We promptly drove to one of Kris’ schools and got straight on with our training. As soon as the class begun I noted there was an instant feel of “family” at the club and I was made to feel very welcome. I sparred with one of Kris’ students later on in to the class and found it quite difficult to catch him with any submissions, his defensive game was outstanding and he was able to shut down a lot of what I had to offer, after sparring with him asked how long he had been training, needless to say how impressed I was when he told me little more than 6 months! I’ve been training in other grappling arts and can usually hold my own against someone who has been training this length of time!

The remainder of the week was spent going through the fundamentals of CACC, this was a mixture of both private and class sessions. During these classes I had the opportunity to roll with several of Kris’ students, rolling with these guys was like nothing I’ve ever experienced before, even the lighter guys felt like they weighed a ton and were able to control me to great effect, nothing ever felt “muscled” just applied effectively, no doubt a result of the drills Kris and his team practice in every training session. Being underneath these guys was just no fun at all, you felt smothered and in pain, unable to move, unless they were baiting you to do so!! As the week progressed Kris and his team showed me how this was achieved, in itself a set of techniques that have been practiced diligently, all of which are designed to make the man on bottom frustrated and make mistakes. You really have to roll with these guys and feel what it is I am attempting to describe!

Kris in himself, is one of the best coaches I have ever had the pleasure of training with, he is kind hearted, generous, just an all round nice guy, he holds nothing back and is always willing to help you where you need it. Talking with Kris over a beer, you can see just how passionate he is about CACC, he is completely devoted to the sport and is making every effort possible to ensure the knowledge and skills are passed on and the art is kept alive and well! I feel honoured to have trained with Kris and his team and look forward to continuing my own development under his guidance, I just can’t thank him enough for making me feel so welcome, he is a great coach, mentor and a true friend.

I look forward to the next time!

Jamie Phillips
    orginal post, which was a testimonial from here:

http://www.catchwrestlingcanada.com/wordpress/?p=367

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPj0v...layer_embedded

and what the fuck is this shit rom your coach?

lol, and he's blocked me on facebook as well.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    BJJ guys don't know neck cranks and back rides? I tapped a guy the other day, without meaning to, due to pressure on his spine. I regularly use a neck crank sweep which Italo (I think) taught me.
    Rob I was just giving my opinion! Of course bjj guys use some neck cranks but most the time they don't! I've been out to train with Josh Barnett and have him doing a clock head sissers crank on you and tell me if it's fun!

Any way it's just my opinion and yes ive trained with world class grapplers in both not saying any 1 is better than the other! Just there's more pain full techneiqs in catch Wich there is! And david5 who have you trained with?

I'm sure there are good catch guys, but I just think the things said originally here about catch over bjj are ridiculous. Especially from a guy who has done 1 week of catch and got tapped by a white belt when he came to some of my classes.

Now, no doubting Josh Barnett can put people in pain but any world class grappler would be able to, whatever background they're from... bjj, catch, judo, wrestling, sambo etc...

I also find it funny that other grappling styles often talk about stuff to beat bjj but I've never heard any bjj instructor talk about how to beat any other style, they just teach good grappling which works against anyone.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

For some reason David5 has taken it upon himself to be the no gi forum police. You were kicked off the mod team for such harsh behaviour.

The OP was simply sharing information and opinion in a friendly manner and does not deserve to be attacked and called a faggot.

Play nice kids.

Yeh true, I don't know anything about this guy or what hes claiming, but if the guy loves catch and is bringing some good guys over for seminars all the best to him

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    For some reason David5 has taken it upon himself to be the no gi forum police. You were kicked off the mod team for such harsh behaviour.

The OP was simply sharing information and opinion in a friendly manner and does not deserve to be attacked and called a faggot.

Play nice kids.
    fuck you telling me who i can call a faggot. if someone gets called out for talking out his arse, teaching classes when he's shit and unqualified, then deletes his posts to hide is faggotry then he's a fucking faggot.

sledge you telling me off for insulting people is laughable, you've not exactly been the forum angel have you?

I think that you are being overly nasty to the OP who has just tried to share information in a friendly manner. I'll tell someone they are a twat if they are. I don't think the OP is and you have tried to discredit his opinion in order to try to make yourself look good. That's tantamount to bullying. Remember opinions are like arseholes. Everone has one.