Thread: Weight category question.....

Question Weight category question.....

didnt know just quite where to place this thread so if a mod could move it to the appropriate place it would be much appreciated!

anyways - ive been actively seeking out events to fight on recently, i love all things surrounding fights, the build up, the hand wrapping the walkout and the war! but im not sure which weight category i should be aiming for to make the most of what ive got! im 18 years old, 5ft5, background in Muay thai and karate.

i walk around at about 66kg, but drop very quickly to 62kg when training (so losing weight is not a problem) im not a particularly big guy, i have a strong upper body (although a small looking one aha) but i have big legs (i religiously kick things lol) i can hit with reasonable power, but my speed is my strong point and i definetly have a reach disadvantage due to my overall stumpyness.

now then, what would you experienced guys recommend i keep my fighting weight at? i have tried 66kg, i put up a fight but i really dont look similar in size and definition to the guys that fight at that weight, and nowhere near enough power! so would i want to look at fighting at 62? (so any advice on adv/disadv of fighting at your walking training weight would be great!) or should i drop down lower to something in the late 50kgs?

cheers for any replys guys!

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

Please do not take this the wrong way mate, but you are no where near the right size or weight to compete at Featherweight. If i were you and you were serious about competing i would only think about competing at highest weight of Bantamweight.
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

im in the same boat mate i fought at 65kg did ok my first but got battered by my second opponent who was about 5'10 easy and im about 5'6 andf those 4 inches make a hella lotta difference, have started waking at 64/5KG now and have even weighed 62 after a few hard days training so id definatley make the move to bantam if i were you, plus nothing beats being hella strong for a little guy

yeah widge i agree, no offence taken, although i might walk around at that weight, i reckon its retained water thats keeping me at it! haha !

think the move to bantamweight is a good idea then, thanks for the advice guys!

Quote Originally Posted by widge milward View Post
    Please do not take this the wrong way mate, but you are no where near the right size or weight to compete at Featherweight. If i were you and you were serious about competing i would only think about competing at highest weight of Bantamweight.

Ive been thinking the same thing, Im 23 / 5'6 / Walk around at around 70kg when Im eating right and training, but can easily get to 66
    But when I start fighting im still gonna be really small!