Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UMA NGB IIII Open Groundfighting Championships - Register Here

Hi Jim, how come the contest duration has been changed to 3 mins? Also (and this isn't me knocking you, just curious) why do you set weight categories that don't align to any other grappling comp / org or to MMA weights? It makes it quite difficult for guys that compete regular and try to keep their weight in-line with standard weight categories

Hi Brett.

Thanks for your questions, I will answer them as best as I can for you.

Our Groundfighting contest time limit has always been 3 minutes in duration, we did however extend it at our last Groundfighting event in 2010, but then our attendance went down, so we decided to keep it at the original 3 mins, and also, this is mainly due to the many different other styles we attract to our Groundfighting events, starting from our first events in 2007, also, it makes for a lot faster pace and action etc, provides some fantastic contests, exciting and explosive fights etc, and really good to be a part of too, and also exciting to watch as a spectator.

The Men's Weight brackets have always been as they are, and have even been assimilated by others too, however, over the years we have added extra and different divisions, i.e, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced and Seniors etc.

We don't align our Groundfighting and Grappling rules to any other organisations rules and weights etc, the rules and weights we use for our Groundfighting and Grappling events are by and for the UMA and for our own events, unlike say BJJ rules which are pretty universal now etc, and our weights and rules are not fully assimilated from the like's of other organisations such as the BWA, BJJ, ADCC or MMA unified rules weight brackets either.

We have never had any problems with the weight brackets we use, however, if it is or was a serious issue, we would of course listen, as we always do anyway, and then possibly change or adjust if required by majority, but to date, it's never been an issue for us here at the UMA, and most importantly, the fighters that attend and compete either, and to be fair and totally honest, this is the first time we've been asked these questions re our weight brackets etc.

However, we will always keep an open mind, always have done, and always will do, unlike some that don't or won't lol.

Hope this helps answer your questions, and we hope that this will not put you off attending our excellent Events either, whether its our exciting events such as our own Groundfighting, Grappling, Ne-Waza Championships or even the BJJ rules events we are currently running with.
    Web: umauk.co.uk - Facebook: facebook.com/UnitedMartialAlliance - Twitter: twitter.com/UMA_NGB

Hi Jim, thanks for your response, it's most appreciated

I didn't realise you had used 3 minute rounds previously, I can see arguments for and against the minute rounds as it may encourage a faster pace or it may encourage someone to score a point then just pin/stall for 2 mins. It's not an issue for me either way

I mentioned the weight cats as a bunch of us at the gym were talking about it, most of us that compete at an amatuer level try to keep our weight with-in 3 kgs or so of typical Mma or grappling weights and at UMA that can often leave you in the middle of cat, I'm biased as I usually weigh around 80-81 to compete between 77 & 80, I can't make 75 and will be small at 85, it's not a problem though and I'll happily compete at <85

Looking forward to the event, all the best

Pro Fighter
    Chris Garry

I'm a fan of UMA itself, had a blast last time I competed there, but not a fan of 3 minute matches, they suck.
    Dont be surprised when they quit; be surprised when they dont!!

all the UMA events we have been to have always been first class, and them medals look awesome good work jim

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    I'm a fan of UMA itself, had a blast last time I competed there, but not a fan of 3 minute matches, they suck.
    Hi Chris, thanks for your comment, we sincerely hope you will still attend, we would be gutted to lose one of our many good and loyal UMA event fans/fighters such as yourself.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/Jim McSherry - Web: www.umauk.co.uk

Closing Date for Entries is Sunday 6pm 21st August 2011
    Web: umauk.co.uk - Facebook: facebook.com/UnitedMartialAlliance - Twitter: twitter.com/UMA_NGB

Due to the New Entry Fee Policy of the UMA for the events from October 2011, we have also decided to reduce the Entry Fee to 15 for one day and/or 30 for both days for the up and coming Groundfighting Championships on the 27th and 28th August.

Athletes who have already paid will receive the applicable refund etc, so you will only be charged either 15 or 30 for your entry.

The New Online Registration Fee has now been altered and changed to reflect the New Entry Fee Policy from the UMA NGB

One Entry to One Single Event: 15

One Entry to Both Events on Both Days: 30

To Register go to: http://www.umauk.co.uk/2011%20Event%...ugust_2011.htm

Default Event Update

1 week left to Register.

Registration Closes 6pm Sunday 21st August.

No Registrations will be accepted after the Closing Date.

And don't forget, Registration and Entry is only 15 per Athlete for one Event or 30 for Both Events on Both Days.

Guaranteed a minimum 2 Contests, available for every Registered Athlete at any one event.

To Register go to: http://www.umauk.co.uk/2011%20Event%...ugust_2011.htm

Pro Fighter
    Chris Garry

Ive just signed up mate, and was pleased to only be charged 15... thought it was 25 for some reason.

So yh theres gonna be around half a dozen of us from Elements competing, mostly our newer guys getting their first taste so we're looking forward to it, should be a decent day out!
    Dont be surprised when they quit; be surprised when they dont!!