Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoo Sleeve...help/advice required

Default Tattoo Sleeve...help/advice required

I have an idea for a sleeve that Ive had for a few years and would like advice/help as to the best way to present this to a tattoo artist. I am about to crack on with getting my current tattoo finished so Im not in any rush for the sleeve but any pearls of wisdom are much appreciated.

Im a big fan of sleeves that depict a "scene" either biblical, meaningful, iconic or scenes from a film. Id like to develop a design that depicts the scene in the film 300 where the Muslims' first arrows are fired and they "blot out the sun". Fans of the film will know exactly which part I mean (at approx 1.05 in the clip below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDiUG52ZyHQ

I am by no means techy or artistic and would appreciate any advice as to how to get this idea into some kind of format that I can present to the tattoo artist. If there are any good artists out there who can produce a drawing suitable then if its what Im after I would be willing to pay for the artwork.

Thanks in advance guys.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

steve_langford

Great idea! Sounds cool!
    Just show them the clip. They will offer some ideas.

Love the idea. Sounds like it would be easier and better to get as a back peice.

But speak to your artist and explain what you want and he will tell you what he can or can't do.

My good mate is a tattooist and I actually had a little bit of work today myself. Nothing too serious just about 1 hour shading my mauri 1/2 sleeve to be.

I also went to a tattoo convention recently and saw some fucking amazing artists. That is also a great idea for guidence and inspiration.

yeah a real tattoo artist will be able to draw something up for you. any that say they cant arnt worth the time unless you want a bit of tribal stuff. my mate would do it for you but you're a bit far from me i think

I would avoid the religion theme that is going crazy at the moment, no matter what story it depicts, if your wanting ideas im getting a full sleeve in 2 weeks, but iv gone for an artist called Boog, check his sleeves out, the hispanic theme is really cool, you might like that style.

Cheers guys.

Sledge; Im not really a fan of "scenes" as back pieces. They tend to look like you've hung a picture on your back. I like designs that look like they are "part" of you, rather than just "put" on you, if that makes sense. Theres a lot of designs and ideas that work really well on the back, but this idea, for me, is not a back piece.

Exactly 2.20 in the second clip posted is what im after. Made into a sleeve I think the angle can be altered so the left side is raised and there is a slope from left to right. It will be on my right arm so I think will look good sweeping down from shoulder towards the body via the arm, with the bulk of the rocks on the tricep and more detail as you go inwards towards the torso.

Also I think this will allow for more detail on the rocks and on the ground the soldiers are standing on. The arrows, clouds and different shadings will look good on the shoulder. The sloping effect could add to the visual effect of looking high in to the sky above and I think as the piece wraps around the arm, it can give a sense that the lines of soldiers or the sea goes on forever.

Any and all feedback welcome.

Stapes

Quote Originally Posted by dunny View Post
    yeah a real tattoo artist will be able to draw something up for you. any that say they cant arnt worth the time unless you want a bit of tribal stuff. my mate would do it for you but you're a bit far from me i think
    Cheers Dunny. Im willing to travel anywhere within reason in the NW. Leigh or Wigan way is fine by me. Ill be cracking on with it as soon as Ive sorted my other one out, so as said, no rush. Aiming for start of 2012 for the sleeve. Would like to get firm ideas or format down in advance though.

Stapes

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    I would avoid the religion theme that is going crazy at the moment, no matter what story it depicts, if your wanting ideas im getting a full sleeve in 2 weeks, but iv gone for an artist called Boog, check his sleeves out, the hispanic theme is really cool, you might like that style.
    I wouldnt ever dream of having a religious themed tattoo, no matter how cool it looked. Im not in any way shape or form religious so I'd feel a fraud. I wanted a tattoo since the age of 18 but stood back and waited while people around me got shit ones or ones that were "in" at the time but now look naff. I waited until I saw a design that really moved me and one that I thought was stunning. I saw that design some time ago and although slow to get things moving, I will have that completed as soon as poss, finally!

300 is one of my all time favourite films and the imagery in the film is outstanding all the way through. I thought of this idea fairly quickly on maybe my 2nd or 3rd viewing. I dont want to have anything that simply looks "cool" I want something that means something to me or has a story. A scene from a favourite film fits perfectly.

Stapes

I've still never seen 300, really should get round to it
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore