Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another question regarding performance

Hybrid View

Default Another question regarding performance

Got an hour to kill so here goes.

Just listening to Talk Sport (told you I had time to kill) and they said that a particular cricketer was "better than his performances suggest" which reminded me of something Matt Thornton used to say "can you be considered technically good if you can't do it against resistance"

Thoughts?

Everything is relative.

While pondering this question i arrived at my own questions-

Was Helio technically excellent as a frail old man? Answer- Yes,certainly.

Could he apply his techniques against a fully resisting young fit black belt of his own weight? Answer- probably No.

So in answer to your question,my answer is 'Yes'.

Although if we don't take the question to such an extreme and say -

If someone who is considered 'technically good' cannot apply their techniques against an opponent of the same experience,weight and strength then they cannot really be labelled as 'technically good'.

Sorry not to answer your question in an absolute manner Darren,but this was my thought process.

I think that is as good an answer as the question warrants Simon, absolutely everything is relative. An example of this is taken direct from our grading requirements on our website:

"if you can technically perform to the level of anyone in your peer group you are that level"

So basically if you can make it a match with pretty much anyone you own gender, age, weight and experience level whilst executing technical Jiu Jitsu without having to rely on attributes then you are that grade.

So like you say Helio would more than likely be able to perform against people his own age, weight etc but not against the younger guys.
    Last edited by DCurrie; 26-08-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Posted too soon

Quote Originally Posted by DCurrie View Post
    So basically if you can make it a match with pretty much anyone you own gender, age, weight and experience level whilst executing technical Jiu Jitsu without having to rely on attributes then you are that grade.
    Do you consider it to be almost a form of cheating to rely on attributes such as athleticism and strength etc?

Is it regarded as a bit of a meathead mentality?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchboy View Post
    Do you consider it to be almost a form of cheating to rely on attributes such as athleticism and strength etc?

No, fighting involves attributes. You just have to use attributes properly... if you're much stronger than someone you should still be using proper technique to multiply the force you apply. If you're flexible you should use it to your advantage but still use good hip movement and not just rely on the flexibility etc...

The meatheads are the guys who just go flat out 100% strength without using good technique and gas in 30 seconds. The tough rolls are the odd guy who can sustain the pace for 5 mins+!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by twitchboy View Post

Cheating? No, it doesn't say in any rules anywhere that you can't use attributes, we all do it but Rob T nailed it, use strength with technique not in place of it. The simple reason being that if you base your Jiu Jitsu on strength then when you go against someone stronger than you it will likely fail.

You need some strength to make leverage work, you may have a fixed point and a fulcrum but you also need to load the end of the lever to create leverage, that's where your strength comes in.

So what about "better than his performances suggest" is this one of those situations where a guy can't perform under pressure and leaves it in the gym?

i think if someone just had an off day then you could use the line to describe one particular game/match/fight/whatever, but the quote here suggests its more consistent, so i think they are only as good as their consistent performances

A huge part of being successful in competitive sport relies on mental strategy.

I had a lot of experience of this from a young age after racing BMX competitively from 10 years old to 16.

What i can tell you is that people deal with pressure in different ways- Some find mental strength in prayer,others
    in visualising success in the weeks leading up to competition,some use strange quasi- black magic type rituals to give themselves mental strength.Others just get angry to psyche up or try to psyche others out with dialogue to try and boost their own mental energy.

One thing all these different strategies have in common is that they are performed by athletes looking to gain a mental edge- to be able to win in their own minds before even competing.

This is the difference between the athlete who can perform at his best in competition versus the athlete who can't match his training performances in the gym when faced with a competitive setting- its down to mental technique.

Oh,and one very important way i haven't mentioned that is possibly the best.Its Oliie Geddes' strategy- compete so much that competition becomes so normal,so everyday run of the mill that it becomes just like training because it is as regular as training.

I'd love to get Oliies perspective on this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I'd love to get Oliies perspective on this technique.
    So would I.

I'd also love to have the free time to do what he does. Fair play to him. He followed his heart.