Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another question regarding performance

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Some guys definitely don't perform in competition like they can in training.
    Does the opposite ever occur?

Guys who look pretty crap or average at best in training. But when they compete it seems to bring the very best out of them and they almost turn into a different fighter?

I've never seen someone be crap or average in training then smash it up in comp, but some guys definitely perform their best in comp.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Twitchboy- yes i have seen the opposite occur.Guys who look pretty average in training and turn into absolute animals in competition.

Regarding Competing often enough for it to become second nature.That never really happened with me in Jiu Jitsu because i never competed more than 4 or 5 times per year,however while fighting for my grades in Judo i attended a competitive grading every month and that was very very good for my mental ability to turn 'competition' into something approaching normal training.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchboy View Post
    Do you consider it to be almost a form of cheating to rely on attributes such as athleticism and strength etc?

Is it regarded as a bit of a meathead mentality?
    Cheating? No, it doesn't say in any rules anywhere that you can't use attributes, we all do it but Rob T nailed it, use strength with technique not in place of it. The simple reason being that if you base your Jiu Jitsu on strength then when you go against someone stronger than you it will likely fail.

You need some strength to make leverage work, you may have a fixed point and a fulcrum but you also need to load the end of the lever to create leverage, that's where your strength comes in.

If you can't do it against resistance then I think you aren't technically good. re Simon's example of Helio, in the case of someone who has done it against resistance and grown old and weakened physically I think that will generate someone who is extremely technical as they will hone their technique as their strength decreases.

Tribulus, do you think then someone who is not physically strong to begin with say a lightweight guy is forced to develop better technique from day one than someone who is natrually stronger and or bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_D View Post
    Tribulus, do you think then someone who is not physically strong to begin with say a lightweight guy is forced to develop better technique from day one than someone who is natrually stronger and or bigger?
    Definitely! People who have natural strength and athletic ability don't have to find exactly the right leverage or perfect movement to finish their technique. Women are a good example of this, mostly they are very technical after a few years as they are constantly fighting bigger tougher opponents.