Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best thai V's Best UFC thai?

Default Best thai V's Best UFC thai?

I know some may think this question is unsual but I know that a lot of elite thai guys go into things like K1 and MMA. For example Paul Daley had a world title before going into MMA. The attraction of money gravitates people to mma and the UFC.

How do you think under thai rules with preperation the best current thai boxers would do against the best in the UFC i.e. Anderson Silva, Rua, Daley, etc?

what world title did daley have son? need to spar that lad
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Johny-Boy/215858055149963?ref=ts wbc world champ 19-0

bit pointless really as youll never know

Daley would do well but still dont think he would be the worlds best..depends on the weight...as at higher weights bar a few thais it would be foreigners anyway....

best thais are lighter than daley and are a lot better but thats just because thats all they train and have done

bit like asking how would the best thais do in MMA if they wrestled and did BJJ from day 1.....

very very very few elite thai guys...in fact none have ever moved in their prime to MMA

you have people like Ramba Somdet, a few of the thai's from tiger who do some BJJ but all in their twilight years...

the best thai born fighter who could do well in MMA is former WBA boxing champ Yodsanan 3k Battery Nanthachai (62 fights 58 wins 47 ko's) who fights this weekend in Singapore in MMA.... but as we all know thai scoring and MMA and are different world...

I cant see saenchi doing well in MMA nor any mma fighter his weight doing well against him under thai scoring criteria...

i agree, theres no one in mma that i can see troubling the equivelant weights champion in a proper thai fight, mainly because i doubt they'd grasp the rules. on the other thread about barboza this is what i was talking about, barboza seems a good striker in mma but he'd get smashed in a thai fight. he runs off and he doesnt turn his kicks over properly, he wouldnt score anything and he'd get countered all day

When u look at some of the best Thai Boxers around like Senchai, Yodsenklai, Liam Harrison and the likes... Those guys would beat everyone on there feet in MMA if it was just Thai rules. Don't get me wrong there are some guys that'd give them a run for there money... Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo spring to mind. They wouldn't look like amatuers against them... Pound for pound I think they'd give a fair account of themselves. There's also guys within MMA that'd have a punchers chance just due to there power. Remember Drew McFedries against Xavier Foupa Poukam.... Xavier was a top european level Thai Boxer... McFedries hits him and goodnight. There's a few guys in MMA like that with bombs on there hands.... Vitor Belfort not a Thai boxer but he'd fuck up a few of the Thais in a standup fight imo.

The way a Thai fight is fought is also very different to the way an MMA fight is fought too.

Rounds 1-2 are seen as feel out rounds with 3-4 being where most of the fighting takes place and 5 being the decider round.

MMA fighters are generally more explosive from the moment the bell rings as opposed to straight Thai fights.

Im struggling to think of any MMA fighter getting through 5 rounds of a Thai fight if they fought the 'Thai way'.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Just to clear this up I didn't mean thai as in nationality but as in style. I am not familiar with the rules but if it is 5 rounds then surely that means a Belfort or a Daley could close it in a round or 2?

for a start theres no takedowns to worry about so thai fighters keep their hands very high and stand tall. in mma these 1 punch ko's happen because people have their hands low by thai and boxing standards which leaves a massive window for the ko. this wouldnt happen in a thai fight against someone with anything about them. its not impossible for them to ko a thai fighter obviously, but its very doubtful in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by dunny View Post
    for a start theres no takedowns to worry about so thai fighters keep their hands very high and stand tall. in mma these 1 punch ko's happen because people have their hands low by thai and boxing standards which leaves a massive window for the ko. this wouldnt happen in a thai fight against someone with anything about them. its not impossible for them to ko a thai fighter obviously, but its very doubtful in my opinion
    in some cases u get 2 MMA fighters more than willing to stand and still get knockouts with no takedown attempts. Belfort for example never knocks out people because they are thinking about takedowns... Can't remember Vitor attempting a takedown to throw someone offguard for his punches. Boy has some serious hand speed and usually finishes in his first flurry.... He takes a good bit of time to get started as well... Goes through a feeling out process to get his range...

there was a discussion on another forum a while ago about pro fighters in each sport and what level would they enter a different discipline in, i.e. just coz someone has had 10 pro mma fights, does that mean they could handle an a-class thai fight...the thing about mma is that you have options...if you're not that decent on your feet but wicked on the ground or vice versa, you have the option of playing to your strengths and changing what happens in a fight etc. But you dont get to A-class thai level in this country unless your very good on your feet and you havent got a choice in the fight, you have to stand up and fight or else you get counted/KO'd/TKO'd, there are no other options of going for takedowns, getting to the floor etc. There probably are some top level pro mma guys that could handle a top level thai fight but its hard to compare the two sports and also the fighters...who could you compare with who in each sport etc?
    Marianne.

Team Phoenix