Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bjj and drug use (Serious)

You said our bodies have all the chemicals we need... so why would supplements be necessary? Simple question really. It's a question not an opinion.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Rob- Supplements is the short name for them.The long name is dietary supplements.

99.999% of sports supplements can be found in food.

IE Instead of taking amino acids,a wide range of aminos can be ingested by eating a mixture of egg white,tuna,chicken.
    So why take amino's instead?? Because its hard if you're working to be constantly cooking up egg/tuna/chicken mixtures and looks a little weird.

Creatine is found in red meat- so if you eat steak every meal you will be getting a decent percentage of creatine into your body?? So why take creatine?? Because most people cannot afford to eat steak every meal.

Dietary supplements are not cheating IMO,they are just taking a short cut to substances that are readily available in food.

And here's the thing- For a BJJ Instructor teaching privates all day and training with weights,cardio etc the body NEEDS either to be eating an incredibly rich nutritious diet (which is difficult if you're teaching all day) or your body needs the positive aspects of extra protein etc or muscle will be broken down and injuries occur as well as deep fatigue on the nervous system resulting in depression and illness.

Just my opinion.

heres my opinion on this whole thing...

a recreational drug user who keeps it all under control is NOT the worst thing in the world

by recreational drug user I mean a guy who has a joint with mates every so often or the occasional pill on a night out, NOT someone who has a joint before they leave the house in the morning, then a joint at the bus stop, one before work, one at lunchtime, one after work, then one before dinner, etc etc, or someone who spends the whole weekend in an ecstacy induced mess, every weekend, thats not a recreational user, thats someone who is off the rails

when we start getting into coke, heroin, crack etc thats a different story, these are highly addictive drugs, and destroy lives, these are without question a bad thing

one thing I would like to put out there...

how many people have heard a story/read about/witnessed a guy who has been on the piss all day, got into a fight outside the boozer, then went home and smashed his wife?

outside every pub in britain there is one of these guys, it happens every single day, yet booze is a perfectly acceptable thing to do (in the eyes of the law)

how many people have heard a story/read about/witnessed a guy smoke grass all day, get into fights in the street, then go home and smash his wife around the face?

not many, a stoner would probably rather be sitting in the house playing xbox, or ordering a pizza

I think the answers speak for themselves
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Now - i have tried to stay out of this drugs discussion because it is a subject very close to home for me.

All i will ask all you guys who talk about the bloke who enjoys the odd spliff now and then or the bloke who takes an E once in a blue moon at a club=

Do these people actually exist?

Because i have had drugs around me my whole life.I'm not going to go too deeply into detail but lets just say a couple of things- i started smoking dope daily at 11 years old.I grew up in London and was 18 in 1988.

I don't know ANYONE who smokes dope who only puffs at the weekend.No one.

I don't know ANYONE who takes E on its own completely irregularly.If they take E they also normally take charlie- and that leads to crack and/or bad come downs - xanax,valium.That is if they are lucky- if they are unlucky and have been smoking crack with the wrong people they will be offered smack to smoke as a come down.
    Infact,in London now dealers sell bags of rocks and smack so you get high on the rocks then take the sting out of it with the smack.

I have dear,dear friends who have ruined their lives after starting very innocently just smoking puff recreationally as teenagers and are now in and out of treatment centres.It is heartbreaking to see.=
    Not all of them but the frightening reality is the ratio is about 50/50 of those who just stayed puffing a little and those that went on serious class A binges and a drug lifestyle.

As for skunk- just one pure skunk joint has the THC equivalent of about 100 thai stick spliffs or soap bar (morrocan) spliffs.
    The drug has changed and rather than getting people a little mellow it has created a generation who cannot look people in the eye,slur their words and get 'the fear' after a joint.

Now- i am not saying anyone on this thread is right or wrong- i respect all your opinions and all i am doing is giving you a small insight into my experience of the drugs around me right now.

For all those of you who choose to be clean- stay strong.

Oh,and for me- the worst drug of the whole lot is alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    Rob- Supplements is the short name for them.The long name is dietary supplements.

99.999% of sports supplements can be found in food.

IE Instead of taking amino acids,a wide range of aminos can be ingested by eating a mixture of egg white,tuna,chicken.
    So why take amino's instead?? Because its hard if you're working to be constantly cooking up egg/tuna/chicken mixtures and looks a little weird.

Creatine is found in red meat- so if you eat steak every meal you will be getting a decent percentage of creatine into your body?? So why take creatine?? Because most people cannot afford to eat steak every meal.

Dietary supplements are not cheating IMO,they are just taking a short cut to substances that are readily available in food.

And here's the thing- For a BJJ Instructor teaching privates all day and training with weights,cardio etc the body NEEDS either to be eating an incredibly rich nutritious diet (which is difficult if you're teaching all day) or your body needs the positive aspects of extra protein etc or muscle will be broken down and injuries occur as well as deep fatigue on the nervous system resulting in depression and illness.

Just my opinion.
    No, its the WRAP.
    Insert whiny message

Simon,

I appreciate your opinion, and here is my answer...

yes, these people do exist, I know that as I am in fact one of these people, I will say that in the past I have been what most people would consider a drug addict

here is my story

when I was 16, i woke one saturday morning, to hear my mum screaming at the top of her lungs, followed by a phonecall to 999 which started "I think my husband is dead"... he was, he was 41 years old, and suffered a Brain Haemorrhage, there were no warning signs, we didnt see it coming at all.

I wanted to hide from it all, this reality scared the shit out of me, I drank, I smoked weed, I took pills, I took coke, I took speed, I took all of the above at once, I was a mess!

it worked, i didnt think about my dad, then i would wake up the next day, and it would be real again, so the process would start again...

my mum eventuallty came to my aid, and basically locked me up for 3 months, helped me to find a job, got me back on track, I spent 4 years working for a Pensions and Life assurance provider, I left in feb due to mass redundancies, I now study journalism

drugs are no longer a major part of my life, i will admit that on the odd occasion in the past 3 or 4 years I have had 1 or 2 pills on a night out, and maybe once or twice a month had a joint with friends, but I am no longer an addict

I am one of the lucky ones, in my time of need I was offered help, and was smart enough to accept this help

I know that in reality there are a LOT of people who either dont get offered help, or dont want help, so will continue down the path of self destruction
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    Now - i have tried to stay out of this drugs discussion because it is a subject very close to home for me.

All i will ask all you guys who talk about the bloke who enjoys the odd spliff now and then or the bloke who takes an E once in a blue moon at a club=

Do these people actually exist?

Because i have had drugs around me my whole life.I'm not going to go too deeply into detail but lets just say a couple of things- i started smoking dope daily at 11 years old.I grew up in London and was 18 in 1988.

I don't know ANYONE who smokes dope who only puffs at the weekend.No one.

I don't know ANYONE who takes E on its own completely irregularly.If they take E they also normally take charlie- and that leads to crack and/or bad come downs - xanax,valium.That is if they are lucky- if they are unlucky and have been smoking crack with the wrong people they will be offered smack to smoke as a come down.
    Infact,in London now dealers sell bags of rocks and smack so you get high on the rocks then take the sting out of it with the smack.

I have dear,dear friends who have ruined their lives after starting very innocently just smoking puff recreationally as teenagers and are now in and out of treatment centres.It is heartbreaking to see.=
    Not all of them but the frightening reality is the ratio is about 50/50 of those who just stayed puffing a little and those that went on serious class A binges and a drug lifestyle.

As for skunk- just one pure skunk joint has the THC equivalent of about 100 thai stick spliffs or soap bar (morrocan) spliffs.
    The drug has changed and rather than getting people a little mellow it has created a generation who cannot look people in the eye,slur their words and get 'the fear' after a joint.

Now- i am not saying anyone on this thread is right or wrong- i respect all your opinions and all i am doing is giving you a small insight into my experience of the drugs around me right now.

For all those of you who choose to be clean- stay strong.
    True, I know many people. Who smoke weed, it being legal here. Not anyone of them does not smoke every now and than. They smoke everyday, spend a shit ton of money on it as well.
    Insert whiny message

I remember watching a programme on BBC3 not so long ago. 'The dangers of....' and over a 4 week period they did a programme on Cocaine, Cannabis, Alcohol and Ecstacy. This one particular week was on cocaine, and they interviewed several people who spoke of their own experience. There was a young guy, he played a lot of sport, in great shape, physically, didn't drink excessively, who went out on his 21st b'day and was offered a line of cocaine by a mate. He did it. As he was explaining this he lifted open his shirt to display a pacemaker. This protruding lump on the top of his chest. Thing is with mixing Cocaine and alcohol is that it produces a 3rd substance called Cocaethylene. Now, this is a 3rd substance that is highly addictive yet it increases the heart beat by something like 30 times more than if you do cocaine on it's own. Your blood pressure goes through the roof as well. Think of the amount of pressure an individual puts on their hearts when they do this? When we train in sports, we make our bodies work hard but this is done with warm up (if we're sensible and safe) but with doing alcohol and coke, we have the sedative effect of alcohol battling with the stimulant effect of cocaine. Up, down, up, down, up, down. This young guy said he had never tried cocaine in his life, was actually anti drug, if anything but thought 'What the hell, it's my b'day'. Cocaine and alcohol, for many people who take drugs, not all people, go together like bread and butter. It's deemed very sociable. A couple of drinks, a couple of lines, sweeeet. Cocaine was always seen as a rich mans drug, high society but now it is accessible to many. But there is a huge risk there. Again, I'm not trying to be a drug crusader here, I'm just putting a few points together. It could be just that 'One and only time' that someone has a use up, that something could really go wrong. Like that young guy with the pacemaker.

Doing a couple of pills. When Ecstacy came to the UK back in 1987-88, and hit the Acid House scene, they cost 20-25 quid a go. Now, as Rob mentioned about enabling creativity within the arts in his earlier post, Ecstacy had this affect with many people back then (I don't want to get into football hooliganism stuff on here but rival firms who started raving back in 1988 and taking ecstacy, many interviews with them and people involved in the industry of House Music stated that it brought people together, opened a new perspective on life.) I'm not saying football hooliganism is creative but from the evidence, Football firms who fought each other and used weapons on each other were now friends. Not saying all of them but I'm talking about the likes of e.g. Tottenham and Chelsea firms being at a rave together and there would be no fighting because they had all taken Ecstsacy.

Just to say, I'm not advocating taking drugs either. Nowadays, E's can be bought a quid a go. Doesn't take a genius to work out how much shit that is not good for the human body goes into making one of them. So, the cheaper, the more one would need to do for the desired and satisfactory effect.

Like I said in the earlier post, I'm not saying that people who smoke weed are going to end up in a psychiatric unit (I put if they smoke after training, at weekends. I also needed to add even they smoke every day) I, feel, that a pre-disposed genetic condition may play a part in how we manage our social/weekend/or dependant way of using illegal substances. Some can take it or leave it. Crack, highly addictive, first go on that and you're addicted. Alcohol is progressive and takes time for it to get hold of someone. There might some very deep rooted issues that people find they want to forget, they won't be aware of this but they're working on an unconscious level. Drugs help them to fill a gap. They stop using, the emptiness re-appears, they use again. This becomes a repetitive process

Going back to the guy on the programme, it was his first time, he was fit and healthy and young, no reason for it to happen to him. It's just that one time that something could go wrong when we have a negative reaction and our bodies say 'Whoa, not able to process what you've just put in me' or due to having impaired perception caused by being under the influence, something else goes wrong. It's huge for discussion, drugs in itself, let alone in BJJ.
    'STAND FAST'

End of the day, why do people need to take drugs? what does it add to life
    Insert whiny message