Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Gracie University Grading Credability

  1. #1

    Default Gracie University Grading Credability

    Do you think that belt gradings from the Gracie University are credable?

    There is a lot of criticism from people who consider grading through videos as utter nonsense, but how is it different from an instructor watching a video of someone to watching them live?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    9,171

    Default

    Rolling with someone or watching them regularly against a selection of different people is totally different to watching a video, that should be obvious. Grading someone from watching a video is a money making scheme and nothing else.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    and close thread. shouldn't even be open to discussion. perhaps for other martial arts maybe, but this is not for bjj.

  5. #5

    Default

    On tape you can send a highlight reel of your greatest sweeps and rolls. In person, there's no way to hide from your instructor's eyes when your training partners maul you.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackmcd View Post
    On tape you can send a highlight reel of your greatest sweeps and rolls. In person, there's no way to hide from your instructor's eyes when your training partners maul you.
    Just to play devils advocate.
    How about a highlight reel of your greatest sweeps and rolls performed in competition?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    Just to play devils advocate.
    How about a highlight reel of your greatest sweeps and rolls performed in competition?
    It's the same thing really, it's a manipulation of reality by deleting the bits that make a person look embarrassing. It's a bit like playing a season on Fifa and re-loading the game every time you lose a match. It might make you look good on paper, but it bears little relation to your actual skill level.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackmcd View Post
    It's the same thing really, it's a manipulation of reality by deleting the bits that make a person look embarrassing. It's a bit like playing a season on Fifa and re-loading the game every time you lose a match. It might make you look good on paper, but it bears little relation to your actual skill level.
    very true, I didn't pick up on the 'highlight' reel and was thinking more along the lines of full fight videos.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonGhaazi View Post
    Do you think that belt gradings from the Gracie University are credable?
    Not before blue belt, as there is no sparring whatsoever, only compliant drills (which I babble about more here). There might be more of an argument for after blue belt, as they do apparently include sparring (according to this), but there are still plenty of major problems with that. Most significant is that students will still be evaluated on video running through what is basically a BJJ kata, rather than by an instructor who has been observing your rolling in person with a range of training partners over a long period.

  10. #10

    Default

    what about being graded through a seminar? Is this not as bad?

    say any of the Gracie University guy graded someone at a seminar or any other BJJ black belt?

    I'm not looking to stir anything or argue just plain curious lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.