Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gracie University Grading Credability

Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Although I would agree that it is worth holding off on free sparring for white belts: I'll often stick with specific sparring when I teach (e.g., start in guard, person on the bottom tries to sweep or submit, person on top tries to pass. If either achieves their goal, restart in guard).

That's also what they did (presumably still do?) at RGA HQ . When I was there, lessons were split between beginner and advanced. In the beginner class, you only did specific sparring. Free sparring came in during the higher level classes.
    That's exactly what we do at the Labs too. It works brilliantly and everybody learns
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Same at my place, plenty of specifics, works well at all levels

F

Just curious, if you only have positional sparring and no free sparring, how do white belts prepare for comps? Is it through open mat sessions?

We do some of the specifics or positional stuff, but free spar at the end of every class.

as for grading online... no need for it IMO. plenty of places to train in the UK.

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I can't think of any white belts who have competed without doing at least a few of the advanced sessions (where there's plenty free sparring).

White belts are welcome to join the second session (advanced BJJ) where Martyn teaches a little more quickly and drills against resistance and then we roll for approx 40-45 minutes. Most of our white belts do both sessions, unless they are brand new or just coming back from a layoff.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by daddybaresi View Post
    Just curious, if you only have positional sparring and no free sparring, how do white belts prepare for comps? Is it through open mat sessions?
    Not sure if that was addressed to me or Liam, but in my case, I only run one of the sessions at GB Bristol: there is plenty of free sparring the rest of the time. There is also an open mat on Sundays.

So, I don't generally have to worry about making sure they get in lots of free sparring on Thursdays. Instead, my focus is to make sure everybody has had plenty of time to try out the techniques we learned that day: IMO, you don't always get the chance during free sparring, especially if you're not very experienced yet.

E.g., if you learned how to set up a choke from the back that day, but you spend most of free sparring getting squashed under side control, trying to pass somebody's guard, not quite managing the arm drag from guard, etc, then you don't get a chance to try it out in a sparring setting. If you start off already on the back during sparring, then you do.

How about if one was to use the Gracie university but took the blue belt test live at the academy. Is the issue for people the way in which the curriculum is taught or the way in which the belt promotion is handled?