Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gracie University Grading Credability

spielberg directed my video submission and i was proud to be awarded my black clapper board under renner
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

A higher grade has to roll with the guy..... not just for his movement but his awareness of the setups resistance timing defence and his base..... they are just a few points that come to mind.

A video is just a bunch of dead movements...... you just cant tell untill you feel the guys jj.

I have rolled with guys who make alot of mistakes but do well because they have good awareness and defence.

It is impossible to guage a persons ability till you roll with them..... there are just too many variables to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Truemanc View Post
    It is impossible to guage a persons ability till you roll with them..... there are just too many variables to consider.
    I don't need to roll with Roger Gracie to tell that he is very good.

I agree with you that rolling with a person is a very good way of assessing them. However, personally, I believe that experienced grapplers can judge the standard of another person by watching them execute techniques and spar. I am a qualified Judo examiner and I grade people by watching them perform techniques and fight. Movement, kuzushi, tsukuri, gripping patterns, timing etc can all be judged visually. My friend who is a 6th dan with metal hips can't "roll" with people anymore due to injuries. However, his expert eye allows him to dissect techniques and analyse anyone's game.

The difference with the above and Gracie University is that when I grade someone, I choose the opponents and I watch them in real time. There is no re-recording a fight just because it went badly and there is no re-performing a technique lots of times until by luck it goes well. As such the Gracie University grades BJJers will more likely be p*ss weak compared to those who have a proper instructor.
    Last edited by bomberh; 11-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    There is no re-recording a fight just because it went badly and there is no re-performing a technique lots of times until by luck it goes well.
    Good point. IIRC, there are some rules in place to try and stop that (e.g., I think the whole video has to be done in one take), but presumably a capable video editor could abuse that system.

I don't think that the Gracie University system is completely without merit. The guys will be learning something and able to perform techniques with a degree of competence. I just don't think that they will get to anywhere like the degree of competence a student will under a good black belt. That said if you are studying under a good instructor in a good club the videos can be a good point of reference because they are very well produced and the standard and clarity of the explanations is excellent. So if you live in subsaharan Africa or in the Oceanic region and there are no decent clubs if any then this system is as good as it gets and is useful. If you live in London next to Roger Gracie et al, then it is a poor substitute.
    Last edited by bomberh; 11-09-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    If you live in London next to Roger Gracie et al, then it is a poor substitute.
    One of the things that concerns me about Gracie University is that people might end up picking the online route rather than getting proper instruction from a BJJ club on their doorstep. Especially as the hypothetical situation you describe has indeed happened.

Better than nothing but if you're doing this when there is an academy down the road then you are kidding yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Not before blue belt, as there is no sparring whatsoever, only compliant drills
    Compliant drills are good to help develop basic techniques. There's no point going straight into sparring if you're an absolute beginner.

As for online tuition, I can't see the quality of tuition being there. It's not the same as proper class tuition where a teacher analyses your techniques and helps you to iron out bad habits and gets you to focus on specific aspects to help improve your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Compliant drills are good to help develop basic techniques. There's no point going straight into sparring if you're an absolute beginner.
    Compliant drills are good to introduce the mechanics of a technique. However, IMO it is essential to then take the next step to progressive resistance, then sparring. That's how I structure my classes.

Although I would agree that it is worth holding off on free sparring for white belts: I'll often stick with specific sparring when I teach (e.g., start in guard, person on the bottom tries to sweep or submit, person on top tries to pass. If either achieves their goal, restart in guard).

That's also what they did (presumably still do?) at RGA HQ . When I was there, lessons were split between beginner and advanced. In the beginner class, you only did specific sparring. Free sparring came in during the higher level classes.

I live in a biggish city with several fantastic opportunities to train BJJ. I am very aware of how lucky I am and how the situation could have been very different. There are millions of people around the world who have no access to high quality BJJ techniques and any form of assessment. The video process is a way for a high level practitioner to give guidance on BJJ to a learner. It's not the best way, of course not, but for many it's as good as it gets.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me