Thread: Really bad pain after skipping? Possible shin splints?

Default Really bad pain after skipping? Possible shin splints?

I bought a skipping rope so i could use it as some cardio and would like to be good at skipping but after my first day my legs were aching so i had a days rest but on my second session i was still a aching little bit but i carried on and got an excruciating pain on my inner shins of both legs i couldnt hardly walk but i managed to practically crawl to the sauna and instantly put ice on them but it didnt work much and they were throbbing and hurt to touch even now a few days on i can walk but they feel a little bit tight and a little bit sore and im scared to run or skip rope do u think i could have shin splints after 2 session or hav i just overdone it/getting used to it?
    The clown has no penis

How long did you skip for?

about 15-20 mins the first time and about 10 mins the second time before the pain got unbearable, but i cant skip for longer than 20 seconds a time so im always starting and stopping if that helps
    The clown has no penis

inner shin pain is Compartment Syndrome (shin splints tends to be on the outer side of the shin) I had the same problem a few years back and it was always triggered by skipping. I stopped skipping for about a year and it hasnt bothered me since.

Its a bit annoying telling your instructor you cant skip when everyone else is but offer to do press ups, sit ups and squats instead
    - KRIS BARRAS - FORCA LUTA -

Rōnin

I had the same problem.

Give it 2 weeks off, then when you skip start with really short sessions. Or have lots of breaks if your supposed to do it for a certain time. Make sure you don't skip long enough to start triggering it and then work up your time slowly. It's usually hard but try not to skip on concrete, do no skip bare foot or in wrestling or boxing boots. Very padded jogging trainers or basket ball shoes are best.

It's only happening because you went from not skipping to doing quite a lot. Some people even get this when they take up running.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

inner shin pain is Compartment Syndrome (shin splints tends to be on the outer side of the shin) I had the same problem a few years back and it was always triggered by skipping. I stopped skipping for about a year and it hasnt bothered me since.
    Not necessarily. The most common type of shin splints is properly known as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), which is (as the name suggests) on the inner side of the shin. And true compartment syndrome is much less common. But see a professional for a proper diagnosis. Stretching your calves often helps.

Coincidentally, I think "train hard fight easy" may have an article about shin splints coming up next month...
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Is this compartment syndrome worse than shin splints? this seems to be more common than i thought, and ronin when u say start off with short sessions then work my way up will this strengthen the area and get the area used to the impact or have i already done the damage??

thanks for the replies guys
    The clown has no penis

Rōnin

I had this twice, stopped skipping both times. I saw quite a few people about it the second time and did some reading. The one thing I found was the lay off times they recommended (how long it said it would stay bad) were really exaggerated. I gave it 2 weeks off then got back into it. I've never had a problem since.

I think you'll heal up fairly fast if u give it some time off. Then yes everything hinted at building up your legs for the impacts it isn't used to. What rosi said was also always said to me too. Doing the calf strech and that one where you grab your foot and stretch your thigh feels great, but when I tried it while it hurt the second time, as nice as if feels, once your legs are hurting like they do it won't reduce the pain once you jump again. You need to clear it and start fresh building it up, put the stretches in while you do this as well if you like.

I can do 15 -20 mins skip now and don't notice a thing. Before I was like you, got shown some moves to do with the rope, enjoyed it and didn't want to stop then wound up sorta hobbling round on tip toes for ages because just the impact of walking on the floor hurt so much :/