Thread: Bjj and judo or wrestling?

Hybrid View

Default Bjj and judo or wrestling?

Need your help guys. At the moment The 2 grappling arts I train in are bjj and judo, I chose these because Im a much better striker than I am grappler and wanted to learn to be comfortable on my back. However after hearing joe rogan saying wrestling is the most important art to learn because you can chose where to take the fight I'm doubting myself. So should I stick with the bjj/judo or change tack and concentrate on wrestling? Any feedback much appreciated!

Dont stop any of them, but if you want to go into MMA then you should be wrestling.
    Start Wrestling

Good wrestling tuition is hard to find in the UK. Given the choice between poor wrestling instruction or good Judo instruction, then I'd choose Judo everytime.

Having done judo my whole life and freestyle wrestling to also a hiigh standard, I can say that in my opinion that wrestling to some extent made my grappling worse gaining loads of bad habbits as the ground game is completely different to that which you'd train for mma; for example there are no submissions what so ever in wrestling so therefore you are encouraged to defend lying on your front with your arms and neck open. I'd say judo for takedowns (in particular old style judo- before the no leg grab rules came in) and bjj for ground as bjj i think i stronger on ground fighting than judo as in judo players can rely on the referee bringing them back to standing if they are not strong on the ground in bjj they can't. hope this is helpful!

I think par terre has its uses in mma, itís great for strength and it improves your reaction speed from the ground. Not saying face down on the mat is a place you want to be in mma but could be used as a focus exercise rather than just weight lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkate View Post
    Having done judo my whole life and freestyle wrestling to also a hiigh standard, I can say that in my opinion that wrestling to some extent made my grappling worse gaining loads of bad habbits as the ground game is completely different to that which you'd train for mma; for example there are no submissions what so ever in wrestling so therefore you are encouraged to defend lying on your front with your arms and neck open. I'd say judo for takedowns (in particular old style judo- before the no leg grab rules came in) and bjj for ground as bjj i think i stronger on ground fighting than judo as in judo players can rely on the referee bringing them back to standing if they are not strong on the ground in bjj they can't. hope this is helpful!
    Aka Huckle

Appreciate the help guys! To be honest I think I will stay with judo and bjj, I've seen Karo parasyian use some brilliant throws without a gi so I'm encouraged!
    Last edited by Joe C87; 19-09-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Yeah, unless you can find a really good Wrestling coach with legit credentials then Judo would definitely be the better bet. High level Judo coaching is relatively easy to find in the UK whereas half decent wrestling coaches are as rare as rocking horse shit.

It is not at all difficult to adapt Judo throws to no gi and MMA.