Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crashing your immune system

Default Crashing your immune system

I asked this question on facebook and had it answered by several people, none of which have much experience of training or nutrition so I thought I'd ask it here.

After 4 years of periodic half assed fitness while I had 2 kids etc, I've now got the time to get fit properly. My only problem is, every time I get back into a half decent regime within a week or two, I get sick. Its normally a virus or bacterial infection.

When I was training full time a few years ago I did occasionally over-train to the point where I crashed my immune system and got systemic bacterial infections. I did the same about 8 months ago when I went back to work and was working long hours and breastfeeding my son full time as well. I ended up with tonsilitis which got into my system after antibiotic treatment and left me with a resting heart beat of 150, chest pains, constant sweats and the doctor looking a bit scared at me. This leads me to believe that my immune system is a bit crap really. Oh yeah I'm also prone to ringworm despite bleaching myself regularly.

So, does anyone here have tips etc on nutrition, supplements etc to help? I'm eating clean but I don't take supplements. I'm not talking about training hardcore these days. I'm talking probably an hour or so 4 -5 times a week.

Ta.

So basically you have worms, bacterial infections and are a bit sweaty?!?! Not exactly selling yourself here Rach lol

I consider myself to have a crap immune system too. I think kids and working in a large work place are two of the worst things for that, as kids pick stuff up everywhere and bring it home to you and work wise people are always in coughing new germs at you!

I think everything you've said points towards overdoing it! May not be over doing the training, but coupled with general life and mum duties (including im assuming lack of sleep) its probably too much!

The only thing i've found that helps me personally is Gluatamine, im not even sure if its meant to help immunity?! But basically if i've been training fairly heavily with it, then i find it helps my body to recover and not be so run down as without it.

Short of that, pack work up and sell the kids
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

LOL. I feel grubby now.

I know it's normally overdoing it that causes the issues. Not helped by insomnia. But dammit, I want to be fit again.

I'm off to google gluatamine.

Like i say i dont know if thats what its actually MEANT to do? but i have heard it has been given to patients in recovery and stuff so it must have some sort of health benefits (as well as the obvious protein sythesis etc)

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product...5a7ef657a6233a

I buy my stuff here generally, whether you want to or not is up to you .... but if you scroll down below the prices bit you will see the technical stuff its very easy to comprehend and not in 'bodybuilding speak'

Prevent Illness and Infection - When we exercise our bodies suffer a large rise in the number of free-radicals, but a drop in the number of antioxidants available to fight them. This imbalance can lead to illness and infections, especially in very active individuals. Research has found that this risk of illness and infection appears to reduce in people with high levels of Glutamine; as a result it is often used in hospitals to both prevent infection and promote healing in burns victims.
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

I just remembered that I atually did a degree in genetics last century (in the 90s). It's a DNA base.

That was worth three years of study....

*edit* talking crap, that's guanine.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme-ma View Post
    I just remembered that I atually did a degree in genetics last century (in the 90s). It's a DNA base.

That was worth three years of study....
    So this was all just a test then to see if we knew our stuff lol ??
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Nah, that was literally in the 90s. a long, long time ago!

Yes i am sadly also old enough to remember this decade gone by lol
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Get more sleep....and dont take on caffeine as it masks how tired you really are so you keep training/working/partying when you should be resting.

Sleep is a tough one. I have a really bad sleep cycle and spend half the night awake wishing I was asleep. I have a maximum of two coffees a day, both in the morning as I've learnt that caffeine sends me bonkers after 12pm.