Thread: UFC title unification question (hypothetical)

Question UFC title unification question (hypothetical)

In boxing, if guy (a) holds a belt at one weightclass and goes up/down a weight to face guy (b) who's also a title holder and guy (b) can legitimately make the weight class guy (a) has come from, both belts have in the past been on the line.

So in theory, they are fighting for two (or more) belts in two weight classes.

How would the unified rules accomodate this and could they (not to mention would Dana/UFC entertain it)?

Best example i can think of that could realistically happen is Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar. Now both guys can make both LW and FW easily, so if the two were to fight still as champions (at either FW or LW) then in theory both belts could be on the line, couldn't they?

I don't recall it ever happening in MMA, we've had champ vs champ but there's always been one guy that'd never make the lower weight, for example Rampage vs Hendo, GSP vs Penn etc.

As for the theoretical Aldo vs Edgar fight, if it ever did happen i could only see one guys belt on the line, despite both belts being a legit option.

Just something my tiny brain was considering today, your thoughts???
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

I always assumed title unification referred to unifying belts from different organisations. Such as UFC and Strikeforce for example.

I'm guessing here, but if Edgar fought Aldo at FW, then surely only the FW title would be on the line? I doubt the UFC would put two different weight title belts on the line in one fight, seems kinda crazy.
    Twitter @steflachMMA. Herald Sport www.heraldscotland.com/sport

well it happened with BJ Penn v GSP,
    Penn as LW champ went to WW and lost, but remained the LW champ..

Sure, GSP could never make LW, but the fight was at WW, not LW, different weight, different fight!!

To fight for a title yo have to be within that weight categorie. So using the Aldo vs Edgar fight as an example if Aldo was to fight Edgar at lightweight he would surely come in at just under the 155 limit, while Edgar would do the same, so they would both then be over the featherweight title defence limit of 145 lbs thus not being able to have the fw belt of the line. If it was the other way around it wouldnt work either as you have to weigh in between 136-145 lbs for the title to be on the line. If either was over at 146 lbs it would then surely be a cathweight fight with neither title on the line.

Yeah 2 titles in the same orginisation just wouldn't work, i think it means when Anderson Silva beat Dan Henderson he also won the PRIDE championship ? i don't know.
    No Pressure, No Diamonds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pride_champions

Scroll to around the Middle and you see it says Dan Henderson lost it to Anderson Silva during their UFC bout?
    No Pressure, No Diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by James-w View Post
    well it happened with BJ Penn v GSP,
    Penn as LW champ went to WW and lost, but remained the LW champ..

Sure, GSP could never make LW, but the fight was at WW, not LW, different weight, different fight!!
    yeah that's what i meant James, because GSP couldn't make LW there was only ever going to be one belt on the line but if he could .....

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonky View Post
    To fight for a title yo have to be within that weight categorie. So using the Aldo vs Edgar fight as an example if Aldo was to fight Edgar at lightweight he would surely come in at just under the 155 limit, while Edgar would do the same, so they would both then be over the featherweight title defence limit of 145 lbs thus not being able to have the fw belt of the line. If it was the other way around it wouldnt work either as you have to weigh in between 136-145 lbs for the title to be on the line. If either was over at 146 lbs it would then surely be a cathweight fight with neither title on the line.
    ....then i think the above is the answer
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'