Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: im starting rugby tomorrow..

steve_langford

Default im starting rugby tomorrow..

I've been invited to train and potentially play for Essington RFC. I'm jumping in on my first session tomorrow night....
    Only problem is, I know NOTHING about Rugby other than you can't pass forward.

Could anyone give me any advice? How do I choose a position or does the position choose me?

Will my wrestling skills transfer over? ..... Seriously.

Is it rugby league or rugby union rules ?

steve_langford

Union I believe.

Ok mate shouldn't be a problem, Do not worry about the positions you will play, they will run some drills and test you in certain situations.

Remember to have a cup, gumshield, shinpads, boots, id definetly recommend picking up a cheap rugby top (doesn't have to be an expensive one, pick one from sports direct) whatever you do not wear a short sleeve top in your first session. You will get alot marks & scratches around your face hands etc. Beware of the fat f****** they always seem to want prove something for some reason.

It will be taxing on your body to start off with but after 2-3 months you'd adapt to it pretty quickly, hope this helps mate...

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by Naz View Post
    Ok mate shouldn't be a problem, Do not worry about the positions you will play, they will run some drills and test you in certain situations.

Remember to have a cup, gumshield, shinpads, boots, id definetly recommend picking up a cheap rugby top (doesn't have to be an expensive one, pick one from sports direct) whatever you do not wear a short sleeve top in your first session. You will get alot marks & scratches around your face hands etc. Beware of the fat f****** they always seem to want prove something for some reason.

It will be taxing on your body to start off with but after 2-3 months you'd adapt to it pretty quickly, hope this helps mate...
    Cheers bud. Is it as rough as it looks then? Is it a cardio based sport?

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    Cheers bud. Is it as rough as it looks then? Is it a cardio based sport?
    From what I've seen it's a lot of stopping and starting. Certainly not as cardio based as football.

All I know is rugby looks like a very tough sport lol.

All the best tomorrow mate.

pretend you're shogun when rucking
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

It's heavily cardio based, the average metres covered at top flight rugby is about 60-70% of that at top level football but it's still a good distance.

Don't bother with a cup, I played from when I was 8 until
    25 and never saw anyone playing with a cup on. Gum shield and boots, no zips on shorts or trackies (important for winter).

It's like any sport, listen to the coaches and the people around you, don't get disheartened when things don't go right and e prepared to work very very hard.

It's a game of basics, get them down and. It falls into place fairly easily. If you're wearing a shirt a number less than 9 don't kick the ball. If you've got the ball run forwards passing can come when you've got some more experience.

Play the game in the spirit it's intended and on a rugby park karma is a very real thing so behave yourself.

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    It's heavily cardio based, the average metres covered at top flight rugby is about 60-70% of that at top level football but it's still a good distance.

Don't bother with a cup, I played from when I was 8 until
    25 and never saw anyone playing with a cup on. Gum shield and boots, no zips on shorts or trackies (important for winter).

It's like any sport, listen to the coaches and the people around you, don't get disheartened when things don't go right and e prepared to work very very hard.

It's a game of basics, get them down and. It falls into place fairly easily. If you're wearing a shirt a number less than 9 don't kick the ball. If you've got the ball run forwards passing can come when you've got some more experience.

Play the game in the spirit it's intended and on a rugby park karma is a very real thing so behave yourself.
    Awesome advice Allen, thank you. I'm really excited.

I'm 6ft 1 , weighing 19.5st now (fuck off!!) , ugly and I like beer. I reckon I will fit in LOL.