Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCAA's

Default BCAA's

I am currently using the Dymatize BCAA tablets and have been since about April. The dose says that you should take 4 per day (2 before training and 2 after). However, I am now training 3 times per day and so would be taking 12 day - I think this is a bit much and will work out to be expensive. I was considering taking them just after training with my protein shake - what does everybody think? What would you do?

I would take them around the session (40mins before, if the session is long I would take the other 2 immediately after) that is the most catabolic in the day if you insist on training 3 times a day.

I am assuming you're doing morning cardio then weights and MMA related training later in the day?

I would not take 12 per day.

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing 3 sessions per day? How do you manage to get the final session in?

Wow I'm totally with Dragunov on this how/why are you training 3 a days???

I would say twice would be ample even for a pro.

Two awesome sessions > three ok/average ones

As for BCAA's - very good supplement, like anything they will do you no benefit if overdone though. Pills of most supplements tend to be quite 'weak' in terms of doseage, which is why you have to take a load of them. According to Bulk Powders you can take a LOT in terms of grammes -

We would recommend taking 5.0g of BP Basics Branched Chain Amino Acids per serving. Take 1-3 servings daily depending on your requirements. The concept of ‘mega-dosing’ BCAAs is also very popular with people who are on calorie restricted diets; this involves taking approximately 5-6 servings per day at spaced out intervals, with the idea being to lose body fat but retain as much muscle as possible.
    ... so work out how much is in each tablet and multiply away fella
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Appleton View Post
    I am currently using the Dymatize BCAA tablets and have been since about April. The dose says that you should take 4 per day (2 before training and 2 after). However, I am now training 3 times per day and so would be taking 12 day - I think this is a bit much and will work out to be expensive. I was considering taking them just after training with my protein shake - what does everybody think? What would you do?
    try running HGH will probably cost the same as 12 of them a day

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Thanks for the advice - I am just trying to train loads as I've got some time off work. I do a session at 06:30 for about, either weights or a jog, weights is 1 hour jog is about 3 miles. Then at 10:30 I do some fight training (i.e. Boxing or BJJ) for 90 minutes and then at 18:30 I do some more fight training (2 of either MMA, Wrestling, Thai Boxing or MMA, 1 hour of each).

Do you guys think this is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Appleton View Post
    Thanks for the advice - I am just trying to train loads as I've got some time off work. I do a session at 06:30 for about, either weights or a jog, weights is 1 hour jog is about 3 miles. Then at 10:30 I do some fight training (i.e. Boxing or BJJ) for 90 minutes and then at 18:30 I do some more fight training (2 of either MMA, Wrestling, Thai Boxing or MMA, 1 hour of each).

Do you guys think this is too much?
    As long as you always vary your training up and you get in REALLY good nutrition, then probably not. But that is a lot of training so listen to your body. As long as you feel ok then it would suggest you are coping.

Personally that would kill me lol

Are you young Ian?
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

The only 2 things you should ever be doing at 6.30am is sleeping or getting in from a good night out.
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    The only 2 things you should ever be doing at 6.30am is sleeping or getting in from a good night out.
    haha you sound like as much of a morning person as me Evzy

my morning training (not that i ever bother anymore) sucks ass!
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Yeah not a morning person, its wake, coffee, wait 30 mins, then speak, never ever felt like training first thing, always train mid afternoon or early evening depending on what time I scramble out of work. Plus I always think it gives me time to fuel up before I workout whereas in the morning - just no!
    Sig awaiting witty quote from someone.

I am not young at all but I have always exercised and done traditiona martial arts - I am 30 by the way. My training is varied and my nutrition and supplementation is spot on. I am sensible about things and I listen to my body - if I need a day off then I will take one.

As for morning training, I have a 5 month old so I am up anyway so I may as well make some use of my time!