Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judo

Default Judo

Just wondered how many guys have gone from Judo to BJJ. Also how have guys found it moving accross ? How easy do you think it would be going the other way , from BJJ to Judo ?

The reason I ask , my son does Judo twice a week and I have just become fascinated with it and love watching it. thinking I might have a go ...

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

dont think about it just do it

Seriously I dont understand people that like BJJ but are not interested in doing Judo, it just does not make sense. Some people in BJJ class look at you like you just asked them to chew on raw chillies if you suggest doing some stand up sparring. But you know 99 percent of fights start from standing up.

There is a perception that Judo is worse than bjj for injuries. I'm not experienced enough to know how true this is but this is the only reason I can think of for not crosstraining Judo if you train bjj. The same goes for Judo guys who spend little to no time training ne waza. I mean wtf?

Beginners going too hard too soon is a common cause of injuries. Go steady for a few sessions till you get a feel for stuff. Honestly I dont think the inury risk is much different to BJJ if you train with the right attitude.
    Last edited by TatooineFarmBoy; 13-10-2011 at 12:06 PM.

steve_langford

Judo before BJJ in my opinion.

I did Judo from 7 years old until i was about 13.

I started Judo again when i got my blue belt in BJJ when i was 31.(LOL).

To me they are the same art separated by a set of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I did Judo from 7 years old until i was about 13.

I started Judo again when i got my blue belt in BJJ when i was 31.(LOL).

To me they are the same art separated by a set of rules.
    are the rules are quite a bit different ? also would my BJJ gi be acceptable ?

I think its great for kids, my son who is 7 loves it , so all is good

thanks

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    are the rules are quite a bit different ? also would my BJJ gi be acceptable ?
    The rules are different enough that it is certainly important to learn what the differences are. But not so different that you feel like you are doing something completely alien.

Just ask the instructor there what is policy on gi's is. There are some traditonalists out there, but I doubt most will be that bothered. At least not until you want to compete.

You might get a bit of "friendly banter" if you turn up in gi covered in loads of patches. But they probably wont beat you up for it. Ok maybe they will just a little bit. But only in a friendly way. Hopefully.