Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Reps

Hybrid View

Default How Many Reps

Hi,

I have recently added some weight training to my schedule. I do weights 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings). I am looking to get stronger rather than bigger, how many reps/sets should I be doing for each exercise?

For upper body to build power keep reps to 10 for two sets however second set if you go to fail and get above 15 increase the weight.

For legs 2 sets for 20 reps as the muscles in the legs are bigger. this way you constantly push our muscles and increase strength

Not this ^^ Start off with 5 sets of 5 reps, compound exercises; Squat/front squat, deadlifts, bench, barbell rows, push press etc. If you want to do some work in the higher rep range work on bodyweight exercises such as chins, dips, handstand presses etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shyone View Post
    For upper body to build power keep reps to 10 for two sets however second set if you go to fail and get above 15 increase the weight.

For legs 2 sets for 20 reps as the muscles in the legs are bigger. this way you constantly push our muscles and increase strength
    Wow who taught u this dude?

Don't mean to be rude but those numbers are way off.

4-8 reps each set as implied by mred
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

i use 4x4 when lifting and as stated thats just bench, squat and deadlift
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

Quote Originally Posted by daspecimen View Post
    i use 4x4 when lifting and as stated thats just bench, squat and deadlift
    This!

The big 3 should be the staple of any power routine

(Your sig can kiss my ass though lol )
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Yes 5 x 5, 4 x 4 and other such variations of the squat, deadlift and benchpress are considered the cornerstone of strength training. However this is training limit strength as opposed to power, for this you need to look at olympic lifts and their variations a very good resource is the t nation forum:
    http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...2F-mcd02.hydra

I personally got some good gains from this

http://nutribody.com/blog/post/Bill-...5-Workout.aspx

Old skool but effective

I must admit I added some arms excercises and shrugs to it as well.

sorry to bump an old thread but i have been trying to get my head round this prilepins table /\ and i just dont get it.
    I have been searching the forum and there seems to be so many differing opinions but alot seem to use the table. I have tried to put a programme together from the website in post #8 above but i'm just not sure i've got it right. can anyone give me an example programme i could follow detailing what exercises, sets and reps i sould be doing?
    I have only just got back into the gym, i'm a bit out of shape and my fitness could be better. I dont want to put weight on as i'm already around 95kg's and only 5'9'', i just want to improve my strength and fitness etc. I generally do around 10 mins on the rowing machine to warm up, then do a few weights, then 20 mins on the treadmill, followed by some sit-ups etc then cool down for 10 mins on the bike which is basically what the lad in the gym told be to do!
    Any help greatly appreciated, I feel like i'm just aimlessly lifting weights at the moment with no real purpose.

This explained Prilepin's Chart well to me:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin