Thread: Does your academy ever reach out to it's community?

Default Does your academy ever reach out to it's community?

Do any academies make an extra effort to reach out and try to make a difference in the lives of people in their community?

The poor? The mentally ill? The addicts? The outsiders? Those who have no family?

I'm not preaching to anyone and I understand that the logistics and costs of running a martial arts school can be time consuming and expensive. But martial arts can give outsiders a place where they feel they belong. Does anyone feel that they make a difference to the outsiders? Could you do more to help others through training and teaching martial arts?

Yes but I dont publicise it especially online so you wont hear anything about it unless you really want to train with me.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

The idea of training to help people with addictions and/or mental health problems could be extremely beneficial. I suspect it might require a lot of patience and perhaps even a little formal training in these issues though.

The only thing we really do is offer free/discounted sessions to guys that can't afford to train. Tried getting a charity thing organised like the boys a Factory BJJ did but nothing came to fruition.

I give discounts to the emergency services and military/ex military people.
    Tea Boy @ BJJ Gi Shop, Arlans Siqueira BJJ & BJJ Hertfordshire.

Fuck rolling with smackheads.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchboy View Post

The poor? The mentally ill? The addicts? The outsiders? Those who have no family?
    I'm pretty sure we have all of those in every class!

On a more serious note we have a crackhead who comes in every few weeks and asks to train, we always tell him he can train when he's clean. Not fair on everyone else or him to let him train when off his nut.

The answer to your question is yes, I'm sure everyone could do more to reach out and help people less fortunate than themselves whatever their vocation.

i'd nearly reached out to my community and choked the shit out of 3 guys in tesco tonight, if that counts?
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    The answer to your question is yes, I'm sure everyone could do more to reach out and help people less fortunate than themselves whatever their vocation.
    Very true. Last time I was in the US, the club I trained at did a canned food drive for their local soup kitchen. Students were asked to donate canned and dried goods, and whoever donated the most (judged by weight) got a free private class.

James