Thread: Grappling questions for the real experts-BJJ, Luta Livre, Catch wrestling

Default Grappling questions for the real experts-BJJ, Luta Livre, Catch wrestling

Just read a book on UK MMA by Mick Bower 'Bloody Revolution'-a good read in my opinion. Anyway through these pages the grappling arts are touched upon. I found it quite enlightening. This has made my enquiring mind ask a few more questions.

But a couple of questions-how is catch as catch can different from freestyle?

As described in the book catch is more viscious and looking constantly for the submission. Is that right?

I realise this is a noob question but does Freestyle have submissions? From reading the book I understand that catch has been forgotten by the country that spawned. Yet the likes of Sakuraba (the 'Gracie hunter') style is essentially a catch style.

Bower talks of the bias for example in UFC commentatory whereby they are very in the know regarding BJJ yet catch is not really acknowledged (Bower talks of Gracie's having better 'marketing').

Now in the book Luta Livre & BJJ is described as arriving on the same scene in the same city (Rio). It then describes Livre as practised by the working classes and BJJ by the middle classes. Comparions are made with Luta to no-gi wrestling i.e. no gi being used.

The version I heard before that (from an interview with a Gracie) is that the Luta Livre were a bunch of BJJ guys that seperated out from BJJ when they were at the purple belt stage and did there own thing. Again class was linked in with the Livre guys being renowned also for causing the occasional riot, etc.

Which is true with the origins of Livre? It's generally regarded as a more or less equal to BJJ nowadays, right?

Very many thanks and I am sure this debate will interest many people

submissions are submissions, thats all that matters

Yes submissions are submissions I agree. But that is not really related to what Im asking here. It's a bit like saying food is food or people are people. An empty statement.

There are no submissions in freestyle.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=MtAokdxTinQThere's an interview with marcelo brigadeiro. He's basically saying that livre was at first viewed as an underground movement in brazil, that after UFC 3 it showed that you can't fight in a gi, it needed to be no gi.

It's practitioners were separate from bjj and it was done pretty much, secretly. They didn't call it no gi bjj they called it submission wrestling too, as it wasn't viewed as bjj by the gi practitioners. The late Helio Gracie said that once the ginwas taken off, it was not bjj.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Here is a link to another thread, which contains a little history of Luta Livre, Hope this helps.

Mark

http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/s...-Staffordshire

www.Gorilla-Gym.co.uk

Many thanks. I appreciate this. If possible maybe some of the other questions could be answered?

The version I heard before that (from an interview with a Gracie) is that the Luta Livre were a bunch of BJJ guys that seperated out from BJJ when they were at the purple belt stage and did there own thing. Again class was linked in with the Livre guys being renowned also for causing the occasional riot, etc.
    wholly incorrect
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer