Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benn vs McClellan documentary on ITV on Mon 5th Dec

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
    I wouldn't wish what happened to McClellan on anybody, but the man was scum.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...583541,00.html
    an excellent read though

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by thaison View Post
    War baby is an incredible book.
    Agree, its a superb read. It was interesting watching the fight again after reading it.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
    I wouldn't wish what happened to McClellan on anybody, but the man was scum.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...583541,00.html
    read a bit of that, horrible.
    'maybe on reflection that was a genuine grievance and not a gimmick. '

I remember watching this fight. I went and sat on my bed afterwards and cried. I ended up kicking a table over in the house I was living in. Slightly emotional. Nigel Benn = one helluva warrior. Did anyone notice Tony Tucker (victim from the Range Rover murders) walking behind Nigel as he entered the stadium?
    'STAND FAST'

steve_langford

Very good documentary. Emotional.

Was interesting to see Manny Steward being interviewed about him. I could tell it still bothers him a lot, especially as it was one of his top prospects being coached by a bunch of idiots and paying a heavy price. Also, I remember reading that leading upto the Benn fight, Gerald got hit with a jab in training that took a lot out of him, they should have spotted it then. Hard moment for Benn when Gerald asked his sister "Does he look sad?".

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Was interesting to see Manny Steward being interviewed about him. I could tell it still bothers him a lot, especially as it was one of his top prospects being coached by a bunch of idiots and paying a heavy price. Also, I remember reading that leading upto the Benn fight, Gerald got hit with a jab in training that took a lot out of him, they should have spotted it then. Hard moment for Benn when Gerald asked his sister "Does he look sad?".
    i think that was quite a tuff bit for everyone watching the show

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Very emotional documentary, and War Baby is a fantastic read.
    It's sad to think that the average joe boxing fan may never of heard of McClellan, who at the time was the most feared fighter in the world. The best fighter of the modern era to never achieve 'Superstar' status, even though ranked number 2 P4P. Scary puncher.
    You know when you've been gripped

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Also, I remember reading that leading upto the Benn fight, Gerald got hit with a jab in training that took a lot out of him, they should have spotted it then.
    Yeah I read that aswell. There were warning signs for a while. Like in the first Julian Jackson fight he got hit with some big shots and I'm sure he was doing that blinking thing then I can't remember for sure.

Deffo was a story about him doing it in sparring though not long before he fought Benn. Even in the doc you could see him blinking a lot in one of the training clips.

Oh and from watching that doc Stan Johnson (the twat with the sailor hat) is a cunt.