Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-Pro & White Collar Boxing Dinner (Crowne Plaza, Glasgow 11/02/2012)

Default Semi-Pro & White Collar Boxing Dinner (Crowne Plaza, Glasgow 11/02/2012)

I know this event is a while away but the tickets are selling very fast with all VIP tables sold out within a week of going on sale.

Semi-Pro & White Collar Boxing Dinner (Crowne Plaza, Glasgow 11/02/2012)

This show will also include a 57kg 4 man semi-pro tournament will feature: talented kick-boxer Marc Dixon; undefeated professional Thai boxer Jordan Calder; former top amateur boxer and reigning world champion kick-boxer Scott Allan; and Stevie Beattie - the winner of the 60kg 4 man tournament previously held by SK Boxing Promotions.

Please contact Sam or any of the fighters directly for tickets.

For more info keep an eye on the Facebook page and website

Can I ask what Semi Pro is in Boxing ?

also how big are Johnny Wilsons gloves , 18 oz ?

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Hope this is a good enough answer:

"Semi-professional boxing involves contests in which the participants do not wear headguards or vests but where the contests are of shorter duration than professional contests. Contests are most often held over 3x2 minute rounds or 4x2 minute rounds.
    Semi-professional boxing appeals to fans because it does not adopt the computer scoring system used in amateur boxing and with the short duration of the contests it makes for explosive match-ups. Participants are drawn to semi-pro boxing for a number of reasons - some to move on from their white collar or amateur careers without having to commit to the rigours and potential initial expenses of being a professional; others because they are now too old to box as an amateur; and an increasing number of amateurs looking to gain experience boxing under professional scoring before making the transition to the professional game.
    If you need any more info/questions i will try to get them answered for you from the promoter/coaches etc

ss1 what medical restrictions are there on fighters with short sight? is it possible for me to box unlicenced with poor vision

Quote Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
    Hope this is a good enough answer:

If you need any more info/questions i will try to get them answered for you from the promoter/coaches etc
    but anything outside the BBBC is unlicensed ? call it semi pro, white collar etc etc ... its just unlicensed boxing at the end of the day. What weight are the gloves used ?

10oz adidas aiba boxing gloves - supplied by the promoter.

You will still need to fill in a medical questionnaire/form and get checked by the Dr before you fight! Also why would you want to fight with poor vision?
    Last edited by ss1; 01-12-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
    10oz adidas aiba boxing gloves - supplied by the promoter.

You will still need to fill in a medical questionnaire/form and get checked by the Dr before you fight! Also why would you want to fight with poor vision?
    Nice, exactley my point

Dont get me wrong , good luck with the show , its just the use of the "Semi Pro" in Boxing that always makes me smile..

so upto and including welter they dont use 8'oz ?

ss1 i want to fight becouse i love the sport, training and every thing els to do with boxing and think i would be quiet a good boxer my own oppinion and others just cos i have a slight problem with my right eye does that not mean i should try !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    Nice, exactley my point

Dont get me wrong , good luck with the show , its just the use of the "Semi Pro" in Boxing that always makes me smile..

so upto and including welter they dont use 8'oz ?
    All weights use the 10oz gloves - if someones over weight they can end up with 16oz gloves or come to some form of agreement!

Semi pro is a good way to split the level/ability i think.......better than amature, scoring is similar to pro etc but i understand why it makes you laugh as there are poorly shows out (not just boxing!) and there and loonatics that think 1 boxing match without a head guard and they are the next Mike Tyson!!

What ever people like to call/class it Sams shows are always good and everyones treated well etc hence why going in to the 4th year of his shows he will be able to sell out a 500 capacity boxing dinner!

If you think you are good why dont you just go along to a local mma/thai/boxing club and see how you get on as the coaches there will no doubt have contacts UK wide for these types of shows and will judge how good you are and get you matched?

I can understand why you want to fight, many on here have probably taken fights while carrying an injury but most injuries heal - you only got 1 good eye..... you dont know how much damage 1 punch may do it!?

True ss1 but i think it should be my choice pal i know consiquences mate of bwhat may happen but its a choice i want to make like every fighter on here will understand