Thread: Work along side other major UK promotions? Hear me out first.

Hybrid View

Default Work along side other major UK promotions? Hear me out first.

I know this one may sound a bit unlikely, as all MMA promotions are competing to be the UFC of the country, however we all must realise by now that a lot of attempts that single MMA promotions are doing to get the sport regulated and funded by the government ends up getting nowhere, but if all the major promotions got together, like Cage Warriors, BAMMA and UCMMA, then there will be more money in the pot to spend towards our cause. Plus seeing you all working in unity may get the politicians in this country will realise that this is a big thing. They haven't banned the sport, which means there must be grounds that protects the sport right now from being banned, but we need to get it across to the MPs that this is a serious sport, and if the same implications are applied as the Yanks have it, then we know we are on a winning case. Just like what the UFC is doing in New York, we need to educate these people, and working together, funding as much as your previous attempts will mean that the money will be there to do so.

Promoters will not allow this mate. I have helped out and asked several promoters of their own events for a little match-making assistance and none of them are eager to help. It's a joke really. If BAMMA, UCMMA, Cage Warriors, etc, all worked together then yes it would be great, but greed and personal gain always get in the way. MMA, although a fantastic, enjoyable sport, is a shambles in the UK with all their own daft titles. If a fighter wins (for example) a UCMMA British title, does it actually mean he is the best in Britain? Nope. It means he is the best in Britain amongst a small pool of fighters affiliated to that promotion, yet to them they are the 'British Champion'.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimDavy View Post
    Promoters will not allow this mate. I have helped out and asked several promoters of their own events for a little match-making assistance and none of them are eager to help. It's a joke really. If BAMMA, UCMMA, Cage Warriors, etc, all worked together then yes it would be great, but greed and personal gain always get in the way. MMA, although a fantastic, enjoyable sport, is a shambles in the UK with all their own daft titles. If a fighter wins (for example) a UCMMA British title, does it actually mean he is the best in Britain? Nope. It means he is the best in Britain amongst a small pool of fighters affiliated to that promotion, yet to them they are the 'British Champion'.
    I hope the irony of someone from a kickboxing association lecturing MMA promotions on how to do business isn't lost on people here.

You will find that some UK MMA promoters and staff from different events do help each other out from time to time. But in any industry you are always going to have rivalries.

As for Titles...some hold more weight than others and without a legitimate governing body and Title, this is the best we have

Quote Originally Posted by iandean View Post
    I hope the irony of someone from a kickboxing association lecturing MMA promotions on how to do business isn't lost on people here.

You will find that some UK MMA promoters and staff from different events do help each other out from time to time. But in any industry you are always going to have rivalries.

As for Titles...some hold more weight than others and without a legitimate governing body and Title, this is the best we have

Kickboxing is also a shambles to an extent, however, fortunately there are only a handful of legitimate bodies that claim to have Area, English, British, Euro champions, etc, as opposed to every promoter that decides to put on a show.
    To highlight your comment: yes i personally am from a kickboxing background and promote kickboxing events that also see MMA on the undercard, but this is why i use an independent body to come in and take care of the weight-ins, scoring, refereeing, and event supervision as they are the ones regulating it for me, ensuring i do things to set rules & regs.
    Finally, if the comment was aimed at myself i'd like to say that i wasn't lecturing at all, just making valid points about the current state of play 'as i see it'.

I dont think promotions need to forget their own shows and 'become one', what needs to happen is that everyone starts by playing by the same rules...starting quite literally with the same rules. I still cannot get my head around why the rules are so ambiguous between promotions. As someone who has fought and is associated with fighters and teams, its absoutely fundamental to understand what rule set you are competing to. I'll leave the rules issue there as there are a lot more tenets to examine.

I'm afraid I cant even contemplate the ranking of titles as yet as the standard of safety and production can be miles apart, from human supports under the cage, to no ice or water made available for fighters- I'm not talking about the promotions mentioned.

Its the sport itself that needs to be simplified with a bare minimum standard that should just be expected for now, whilst more formal controls appear.

I have lost confidence that UK MMA will be able to sort itself, but I'm more positive that MMA will become more closely controlled on an international level, which will in turn help us domestically.

Believe me Bigz, I thought i understood a fair but a couple of years back and I quickly found out how little I knew and just how difficult a journey this will be. However, we should NEVER give up lobbying one another and authorities however.
    Commentator: CWFC, Kayo MMA, Shock n Awe. SAFE MMA. johngooden.co.uk @johngoodenuk

Again John i agree. One set of rules for amateurs and one set of rules for professionals would make the whole thing more appealing and easier to digest for everyone concerned. Promotion's own in-house titles need not be affected, but at least if the shows & rules were regulated then we know we're getting a more professional, level-pegging product between the various shows across the Country.