Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is civilisation collapsing

But turns out they aren't colour blind

You're missing the devauiation of currency in economically failing regions (like ours!)
    I suppose that's what I meant by hyper-inflation. currently recognised at 5%, I think 10% would be more accurate if 'real' items were considered. And with QE adding to this it is only going to get worse.

Also, private corporations owning the world? Cool cyberpunk territory!!!!!
    can't tell if serious?! sarcastic or not??

Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    Yeah but you can't quote the increasing quality of life as a barometer of whether or not civilisation is on the point of collapse. When a bubble bursts, it doesn't downsize first, or give any clues about when it's about to pop. It just keeps on growing, bigger and bigger, until it reaches the point where it can no longer sustain itself, and then... POP.

It doesn't take that much of an imagination to see how relevant that metaphor is to a society in which everything is in a constant state of expansion/inflation, where the only thing that keeps this way of life alive is constant, unyielding growth.

When a cancer gets too big, it kills its host. Same applies to our civilisation. We might have the most comfortable lives ever at the final point of collapse, but that won't mean a thing the day after.
    nice... thats what i think will happen , slowly into the downwood spiral, the signs are ther, then a flick of the switch , the light goes out....

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by SJRM View Post
    I suppose that's what I meant by hyper-inflation. currently recognised at 5%, I think 10% would be more accurate if 'real' items were considered. And with QE adding to this it is only going to get worse.

can't tell if serious?! sarcastic or not??
    money supply is on the increase , you catch a cold you print more money ...

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

The Tez - I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying. Perceptions have changed over the decades, and if your measure for things never being better is the amount of consumer goods that we can now buy then too true.

However, for things to be better then ever, I would aspire for a sustainable growth that is not going to fall down around us, pretty much as HomerPlata states.

The truth is that our current financial system (fractional reserve banking) is flawed and needs a complete overhaul. As long as the current power structures exist, this is not going to happen.

money supply is on the increase , you catch a cold you print more money ...
    exactly. Which is why you can visibly see everyday consumables increasing in price every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tez View Post
    Everyone thinks the current time they are in is the worst ever but despite what it looks like the UK has never been as safe as it is now, violence is down, the 1940s, 50s and 60s were very violent, what makes it look worse is that everything is now more publicised so it looks worse than it is.
    Well said The Tez . It'll be alright ...

Last edited by Eric Morecambe; 06-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    "He’ll never sell any ice cream going at that speed"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Boogaloo View Post
    oh sweet, things are looking up!*

*not dogs though, they can't look up.
    Its a lie, my dog looks up to me....

By the way, what inspired this thread? Was it that tune on Radio One last night around 8pm?
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

As long as we have coffee, MMA and dogs we'll be fine!
    This is only the latest panic on the markets, banks etc, it goes round in circles, the best thing to do is enjoy what you have. In my family history we've been chucked out of various countries, have the Inquistition torture, been put in concentration camps, had everything taken away from us but we still keep going, it's life, all this will pass, it always does. Worrying too much gives you grey hair and ulcers.
    "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" – Rudyard Kipling