Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 42 of 42

Thread: me vs the NHS

  1. #41


    Grandad suffered a stroke a few days ago, went to visit him and a nurse came in to take some blood, I left to get him a newspaper, she took some then wiped the blood off his arm with a tissue, then incredibly threw it on the floor. It was still there when I left, I threw it away and had a word with the nurses, not happy!

  2. #42


    Seeing as there's a catalogue of experiences.

    My cousin went in for appendicitis a few years ago. Apparently she vomitted during the operation and it landed in her lungs. She was intensive care for something like six weeks. I can't complain about the treatment she had there and there's always risks associated with surgery.

    After several weeks, she was out of the coma and able to come out of the unit. The hospital didn't have a ward dedicated to patients who were recovering from stints in intensive care so she was put on a general ward. She was consequently ignored. She was told she didn't need a call button for the nurses. Bear in mind she'd been in a coma for week and was recovering from lung damage, surgery and a tracheochtomy. Nothing too serious.

    The level of ignorance was such that she developed an MRSA infection in her already damaged lungs which was not treated as serious. Well it wasn't treated as serious until the point that they panicked and rushed her into emergency surgery as she could no longer breathe. Her heart stopped in surgery for an extended period. The brain damage she sustained was extensive. The difference between her in intensive care the first time round and second time was seeing my cousin unconscious to seeing my cousin writhing in bed due to palsy (until her sedation was increased).

    The intensive care unit went through a succession of antibiotics to try to combat the infection. She didn't seem to be getting better. How much of that was reluctance to treat the infection aggressively because of her brain damage, I'm not sure. After some time in intensive care, a lot of soul searching and consultation with doctors, her husband made the decision to allow them to turn off the life support.

    There was no case pursued as her husband is a paramedic who sees the people involved regularly when bringing patients into them.

    Two years later, my aunt passed away from uterine cancer after failure to spot the disease before it was too late. The saddest thing I have seen is my uncle burying his daughter and wife within two years. It was heartbreaking.

    Best of luck Steve; I hope with all my heart that your little girl is OK. x

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.