Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: me vs the NHS

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Steve I sincerly hope your little girl is OK. It sounds like there were some major fuck ups there.

My son was born 3 weeks premature by emergency C section due to severe pre eclampcia (sp). He was then rushed into the SCBU and put in an icubator for 2 days due to breathing difficulties. Then due to not being with his mother from birth he would not breat feed. (I mention this because of what I say below)

My boy is now 8 and has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, a type of autism. I in no way blame the hospital or the staff but studies have shown that premature babies and those who don't breast feed have a greater chance of being on the Autistic spectrum.

The staff were great at Slough hospial. I believe they saved the life of m son and ex mrs.

I understand what you went through as after he was born I had a baby in an incubator and a Mrs with her belly sliced open and didn't know which way to turn.

I wish you all the best for the future and I hope that if the staff are proved to be negligent then they are made to pay severly.
    Cheers Sledge. That's awful. We should not have to go through these things.

Best of luck with this Steve. I had to fight through a load of NHS incompetence and inertia this year too.

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Best of luck with this Steve. I had to fight through a load of NHS incompetence and inertia this year too.
    Thankyou. What happened? If you don't mind sharing.

Sorry to hear bout that steve and hope both your baby and mrs are doing well.

On a side note, was the birth at a nurse led birthing centre or hospital? Were their no senior doctors at hand to make a decision to do a c-section?

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by soul_assasin View Post
    Sorry to hear bout that steve and hope both your baby and mrs are doing well.

On a side note, was the birth at a nurse led birthing centre or hospital? Were their no senior doctors at hand to make a decision to do a c-section?
    Thanks mate. It was at a hospital.
    The Senior nurse told us we would have a c-section when my Mrs was first admitted to hospital due to early signs of Pre-eclampsia. The midwives who then led the team just ignored our requests. Genuinely. Literally told us to just have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    Thanks mate. It was at a hospital.
    The Senior nurse told us we would have a c-section when my Mrs was first admitted to hospital due to early signs of Pre-eclampsia. The midwives who then led the team just ignored our requests. Genuinely. Literally told us to just have patience.
    And the doctors were where? I would seek advice and see if you can get access to the medical notes. See if anything has been documented by the nurses for the initial advice given by the senior nurse and then for your request and if any consultation was made with a doctor. I would assume the one to perform the C section would be a senior doctor and not a midwife and try to find out if their was any medical justification for ignoring your requests. As far as im aware, you are entitled to access to any information on yourself e.g. medical records.

Sorry to hear that Steve, hope everything turns out ok and you get some closure.

I had a nightmare with the NHS when the mrs was sick. Just before having our little boy she had painful swollen breasts and went to see the midwife who said it was mastitis and gave her anti-biotics, in a matter of weeks they had swollen to 3 x their normal size and were purple and black. After another visit she was told the same thing and given more anti-biotics, again a few weeks later she literall looked like Jordan and was in constant agony. After seeing a different midwife she was referred for a biopsy, turns out it was cancer and had progressed to stage 4 and was in her lymph nodes, stomach, bone marrow etc. You can imagine how furious I was at this fucking simpleton of a midwife but that was just the start of the incompetence we had to endure.

Theo was born 10 weeks early and was in an incubator with all kinds of wires and tubes allover and had the steroids etc to develop his lungs. Most of the nurses didn't give 2 shits and we used to go visit him to find they hadn't changed or washed him down when they were supposed to but there was one nurse who was amazing and when she was on shift we knew she gave all the babies her utmost attention and he was always clean and changed. She really helped with the whole situation and put us at ease knowing she was there. Anyway when Adele finally started treatment they would constantly do stupid shit like giving her double doses of the drugs (there was literally zero communication between staff and they would rarely check the info board at the bottom of the bed, at times myself and her mum would have to tell them she had already been given the drugs for that time and we'd get a ' oh really, ah yes you're right '. At one point when she was in a private room due to risk of infection and couldn't eat solids they put the food/drugs into the wrong line and she ended up with a severe infection which came very close to killing her.

The cleaning was another thing that really wound me up. At times she was in a private room and we had to wear masks, gowns etc to visit. The cleaners would go in, wipe the floor with a mop for about 30 secs and walk out. Unbeliveable. There were times when we would turn up and discover she hadnt been fed for at least 24 hours as she had been too weak and spaced out from the drugs to say anything. When we complained and asked why most of the time we got 'oh were all out of the shakes she likes'. I couldn't fucking believe what I was hearing. She was around 5 stone at this point and was made clear by the doctors she needed so many calories per day and at times she was getting zero, it made my blood boil. I tried to stay as calm as possible but her mum was furious and began writing a log of all the incidents that had happened. The icing on the cake was when I walked in with our son, sat on the end of the bed and to my amazement there was a used hyperdermic needle and blood on the sheets where a senior doctor had just left it on the end of the bed. One of the trainee nurses who came when we pressed the buzzer apologised and said if we were to complain the doctor would lose her job so Adele wouldn't let me. Believe me I came very close. There were all kinds of other fuck ups over the 18 month period but these are the ones that stick out in my mind.

At the end of the day though they saved both my finaces and my sons life and agree with what rob T is saying there's numptys in every workforce and with the nhs you're going to get your fair share.

Jamie that's fucking horrendous. I hope you are taking them to the cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Jamie that's fucking horrendous. I hope you are taking them to the cleaners.
    As above, what an awful story
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

shit like this happens all the time, when my dad was in hospital there was some nurses who were awesome who looked after him and us when we visited and then the time we walked in to find him in his own excrement because he had become too weak to get to the toilet himself and hadn't been checked on.
    Me and my mother ended up cleaning him up using the hospitals facilities , changing the bed , changing his pajamas.
    as said some nurses we couldn't thank enough and others especially some of the doctors who didn't give a fuck i could have cheerfully strangled to death.