Thread: Laser EYE Surgery

Default Laser EYE Surgery

I'm thinking of getting laser surgery on my eyes.
    I understand there are only certain types that are suitable if you are involved in contact sports.
    I'm hoping to continue sparring after having them done.

Anyone had experience with this?
    Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    http://www.kaobon.com/

It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by FELLA View Post
    I'm thinking of getting laser surgery on my eyes.
    I understand there are only certain types that are suitable if you are involved in contact sports.
    I'm hoping to continue sparring after having them done.

Anyone had experience with this?
    Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I understand pro boxing doesn't allow any laser surgery (at this time).
    I believe that would be the same for Thai and kickboxing (depending on federation).

From a surgery perspective, the advice I was given was to wait as long as possible or practical before surgery.
    I understand the EYEdea (see what I did there?) is to have surgery when your eyes have declined as much as possible.
    I assume that is because you will need "touch up" surgery or the like.

As my eye sight deteriorates, though not atrociously - I'm nearly at the point of needing glasses for at least half of my day, I think I'm close to considering the surgery.

Do you wear contact lenses? I know that most combat sports approve contact lenses in principal.
    Solid supporter of: Tomasz Adamek. Maurício Rua. Daniel Ghiţă

I got PRK two years ago. Worth every penny. Although if you get PRK (and not basic Lasik), then you will be in the worst pain of your life for about 3 hours. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. But I've been told Lasik isn't painful at all really. PRK is where it's not all done with lasers, there is a point where they are in there scraping with tools. My one pupil was a weird shape so that's why I couldn't get basic lasik done.

But worth it for sure. Had no problems since I got it done.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

Yes I wear contact lenses, lose them all them time in sparring usually end up on the end of someones glove or on the gym floor. I pick it up clean it off and pop it back in, usually end up with an eye infection.
    Same when grappling if you get a head squeezer and they are crushing your face around the eye area they can move around.
    I've read up quite a bit and there is lots of conflicting advice.
    LASIK and LASEK both cut a flap, which is where the supposed risk of the flap becoming detached comes into play. Yet others say after it has healed there is not danger of the flap becoming detached/damaged.
    Obviously PRK involves no cutting but as has been stated it is meant to be painful.
    I'm not sure if most places offer this as an option anymore.
    I've heard Wavefront LASEK is the best option.
    http://www.kaobon.com/

It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

yeah, I did a ton of research on it before getting it done. Obviously you want to be completely confident about your eyes. I think the flap being detached is one of those things they have to say to cover their asses, but the chances of it actually happening are so, so remote.

Price was decent too. Wasn't cheap, but wasn't super expensive either I didn't feel. Definitly worth it in my opinion.

i got it done about 5 years ago, it was dear for me as i had poor vision (around -7 diopters) but i am highly highly irritable so i just couldn't stand to have plastic touching my face all day, i was constantly aware of it being there and hated it

i got.. i think lasek wavefront or something like that, it was the newer technology at the time. they said to avoid any vigirous contact for about 3 months and within around 6 months my lens should've been at the same strength it was previously.

i went to a self defence seminar where there was a reasonable amount of contact within a couple of months and just wore goggles and it was fine but i've never really done much hard sparring so am not sure of the time-frame advisable. i would leave it the 6-9 months to be fair, better safe than sorry with your vision
    The mind of the believer stagnates. It fails to grow outward into an unlimited, infinite universe.

I was a glasses guy before I got the surgery.

Had a 90 pack of one day contacts that I only used when I was playing sports.