Thread: Is boxing dead in the uk?

Default Is boxing dead in the uk?

If not, then why so hard to find quality boxing (not Thai) gloves?
    Grants, cleto's, winning's - why so few opportunities to buy these in this country?
    Anyone got a good source I'm missing?
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Sugarrays normaly have Reyes but grants you will be hard pushed to find. WHat about PUG's ? they are a nice glove and cheap

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Reyes are easy to find but I want a set of grants. Would only get winning if I had the opportunity to go into a shop and buy them whilst on holiday, can't justify 400 quid with shipping for a pair of gloves. You might just have to bite the bullet and get em shipped :/
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

I dont think Grants are that good to be honest. Reyes are a better glove in my opinion. I have 3 pairs of reyes and all look in great shape, my grants fell to bits after 12 months.

What do you want grants over reyes ?

It's mainly because a 10oz set, for pads in my boxing gym, would do me for some sparring in them (light sparring) in the mma gym. I've heard that Reyes lace ups tend to open people up in sparring. I don't want to risk that. Is there any truth to it mate?
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Reyes are a punchers glove , and you know when you have been hit by someone wearing them. I used spar in 12 or 14's oz lace ups, i dont like velcro as it causes scuffs and cuts. They do fit like a glove, but grants again are the same but a bit more forgiving.
    I wouldnt use 10's for sparring they are a fight glove weight and pretty brutal. I would go with 12's for pads and sparring, if you using head gear and vas then everyone should be fine. 10's on the pads in my opinion will take it out your hands unless you are going to pack them out properly before you train.

Ok no worries mate will look at the 12s cheers. 10's feel light mind, but there's a pro at my gym who has 10s for pads and bag and then the usual 16s for sparring. I have 14oz kings at the minute for everything. But would maybe look into separating bag and sparring gloves when I need them next time. Hygiene as well as the weight difference, but like you said lace ups don't have the scuffing etc. of Velcro. 14s feel big on the pads, maybe this is just king gloves though. A few people have said they're a bulky glove after they find out they aren't 16s.

14's reyes should be good for pads and sparring , they are the best gloves i have. they are worn in very nice and fit my hand perfect. They provide enough padding on the hands if you use wraps and tape to pack them out. I have done alot of padwork / bag work in them and never had a problem. I think 16's are to padded, they take the 'pop' out of padwork, which i love to hear when i get a shot on...

Haha! Yeah the pop is a confidence boost. Makes a sweet shot sound sweeter. I'll look into getting a pair of Reyes perhaps for sparring and pad work too then. They ain't cheap to buy two sets of yet lol. Or maybe just because Christmas has cleared me out at the minute. I use a sponge on my knuckles and 180 Mexican wraps so well wrapped enough for the type of glove it sounds like.

just make sure you pad your knuckles out enough , I use cotton wool strips from the chemist to pack in my wraps and when I tape peoples hands. It will give you just under an inch accross the top of the hands and fill the glove nicely.