Thread: Hamed's boxing influences?

Default Hamed's boxing influences?

I know he's not the most popular guy but there was a time when he really brought boxing to the publics in the 90's. What do people reckon his boxing influences were because his style was so distinct. An obvious starter is Muhammad Ali but who else?

The obvious starter is Herol Graham. Hamed was a Brendan Ingle / Wincobank product, and was moulded in that style from the start of his career. iirc Ingle was mainly self-taught. Graham was the first world-class fighter from the gym, and the one that Hamed, Johnny Nelson, Ryan Rhodes etc looked upto. I'm not sure you could really call Hamed's style that unique, when there are numerous other fighters from the same gym fighting in a similar way.

Beyond the superficial resemblence, I don't see too many similarities with Ali in terms of boxing style. There's probably more of Hector Camacho and Jorge Paez in there than Ali. Ali was Hamed's idol, but this was reflected more in Naz' persona than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
    The obvious starter is Herol Graham. Hamed was a Brendan Ingle / Wincobank product, and was moulded in that style from the start of his career. iirc Ingle was mainly self-taught. Graham was the first world-class fighter from the gym, and the one that Hamed, Johnny Nelson, Ryan Rhodes etc looked upto. I'm not sure you could really call Hamed's style that unique, when there are numerous other fighters from the same gym fighting in a similar way.

Beyond the superficial resemblence, I don't see too many similarities with Ali in terms of boxing style. There's probably more of Hector Camacho and Jorge Paez in there than Ali. Ali was Hamed's idol, but this was reflected more in Naz' persona than anything else.
    Thanks for that-you know your stuff mate.

Ingle was of the opinion that hands held high stifled the upper body movement of the boxer. Everyone thought Hamed did it to show off, like a bit of show boating which I can see why you might think he was a fan of Ali. I cant think of anyone he was like, if anything people liken people to hameds style now

His power was amazing. if he had stayed with Ingle and wan't a complete dick he would have gone down in history as one of the great boxers of our time

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    Ingle was of the opinion that hands held high stifled the upper body movement of the boxer. Everyone thought Hamed did it to show off, like a bit of show boating which I can see why you might think he was a fan of Ali. I cant think of anyone he was like, if anything people liken people to hameds style now

His power was amazing. if he had stayed with Ingle and wan't a complete dick he would have gone down in history as one of the great boxers of our time

Im not a boxing expert but just for the sake of discussion-he didn't love training and I believe cut corners in his camps. Maybe sticking to boxing basics as Barrera did, at the highest level, would have always caused him too many problems. Again it's about 'what ifs' like so many things. I think he's a big influence on a lot of guys after him though. Froch has said his low guard was a habit he picked up from watching the prince. While there are some similarities with Khan.

boxingbrit

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
    The obvious starter is Herol Graham. Hamed was a Brendan Ingle / Wincobank product, and was moulded in that style from the start of his career.
    Exactly right, i think a lot of it also has to do with the way they spar, no headshots, lots of footwork from amateur through to the pros. Bomber Graham and Silky Jones will have been his biggest two influences in the gym as he grew up