Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Boxing/Boxercise/MMA/PT Classes...Help/Advice!

Hybrid View

Default Taking Boxing/Boxercise/MMA/PT Classes...Help/Advice!

Got a job interview at a boxing gym.
    job will be a bit of PT mixed with boxing/boxercise classes.

As part of the interview I've got to run a short boxing for fitness class.

I'm sure a ton of people on here have done this to a decent level, can anyone give me any advice, tips etc.

It seems like I'll be teaching a class of the other applicants, which is daunting enough. and the owner will be assessing the best coaches.

Anyone got any good drills or workouts I could throw in. I've been involved in a lot of classes in my time but not actually run one before and I really can't afford to fuck up.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

lol, you sound about as qualified as most boxercise/PT instructors
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    lol, you sound about as qualified as most boxercise/PT instructors
    True that I'm not going to hide from anyone that I'm inexperienced, but that's all part of lifes learning curve.

I've run group classes before, just not for boxing.

I've just completed my PT Certs, have trained for 3 years and have years of background in coaching and running other sports, just not running a boxing class.

I know what to do and how to do it, just suggestions of drills which work well etc would be appreciated.
    GFT

i would avoid any pad work , maybe do some drills using a bag or set up a circuit for people which involves some bagwork, skipping, etc etc etc... i guess it depends on if you are going to train any boxers or just people who want to play at boxing.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    i guess it depends on if you are going to train any boxers or just people who want to play at boxing.
    This is an excellent point. I used to help out at a boxfit class and I spent so much time correcting technique and banging on about theory that they never really got to work up a sweat. All they want to do is hit something and feel like they've had a workout.

I guess, just by asking the interviewer what level you should be coaching it, that might show them you're a bit more switched on about things from the start.

As for the class itself, without getting too specific, just demonstrate that you are good at encouraging people. Pick a number of specific drills/rounds, and just sound knowledgable when you're coaching. It's probably more important that you are likeable to work with than an England level coach.
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    This is an excellent point. I used to help out at a boxfit class and I spent so much time correcting technique and banging on about theory that they never really got to work up a sweat. All they want to do is hit something and feel like they've had a workout.
    This. I can't go to a boxercise class without friends as they all think I'm punching too hard at 5'2".

Just do pad sets with simple combos. Correct minimally but enough to improve slightly. Choose good music which fits with flow of the session. Do a big core set at the end. Sit ups combined with punching pads are popular.

Or just watch youtube and scam it.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme-ma View Post
    This. I can't go to a boxercise class without friends as they all think I'm punching too hard at 5'2".Just do pad sets with simple combos. Correct minimally but enough to improve slightly. Choose good music which fits with flow of the session. Do a big core set at the end. Sit ups combined with punching pads are popular.

Or just watch youtube and scam it.
    Lol, My daughter and I go to boxercise and everyone winces when we punch, I've had to train myself to bite my tongue though and not say anything about the way they punch.

If only one thing is taught please let it be how to punch properly, saves sore wrists and injuries.
    "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    Got a job interview at a boxing gym.
    job will be a bit of PT mixed with boxing/boxercise classes.

As part of the interview I've got to run a short boxing for fitness class.

I'm sure a ton of people on here have done this to a decent level, can anyone give me any advice, tips etc.

It seems like I'll be teaching a class of the other applicants, which is daunting enough. and the owner will be assessing the best coaches.

Anyone got any good drills or workouts I could throw in. I've been involved in a lot of classes in my time but not actually run one before and I really can't afford to fuck up.
    Sorry to piss on your parade but should you really be interviewing for something you've never done before? Especially given the nature of this forum and how funny people can be about coaching.

You've just admmitted you've never coached before and yet you've applied for a coaching position. OK the standard and the type of class isnt your everyday pro MMA gym but the principle is the same? People (or at least one person in there) will expect you to know what you're talking about and will expect you to know how to run a class...

Personally I'd have gotten at least a few months worth coaching experience under the eye of a qualified and recommended coach (your own coach maybe?) before even thinking of applying for a paid position.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    Sorry to piss on your parade but should you really be interviewing for something you've never done before? Especially given the nature of this forum and how funny people can be about coaching.

You've just admmitted you've never coached before and yet you've applied for a coaching position. OK the standard and the type of class isnt your everyday pro MMA gym but the principle is the same? People (or at least one person in there) will expect you to know what you're talking about and will expect you to know how to run a class...

Personally I'd have gotten at least a few months worth coaching experience under the eye of a qualified and recommended coach (your own coach maybe?) before even thinking of applying for a paid position.
    There's always a point in new careers that you have to start as a relative amateur. I've just completed my PT certs so my experience is naturally low, I'm trying to improve it each week by doing prac work at a local gym.
    In terms of coaching, I'm not new to coaching, I've coached decent level cricket sides and was a Primary School coach for a few years. As a PT I've run plenty of group classes already too and having done mma for years now I know how to organise, control and run and effective class.

With regards to this job it starts with basic boxercise classes and PT sessions then as you develop (or show ability) you can progress to running more advanced classes.

At the moment the people I'll be teaching are your usual boxing for fitness groups, older guys and birds etc. my "outside of boxing" coaching experience, mma background and PT certs were enough to get the interview, and i sort of need this job. I know how to run a class, but given all the interviewees run their own I'm just looking for some tips from more experienced guys in the industry which could help me run things smoother or stand out. If i don't it'll be another skint xmas

cheers to everyone for the help.
    believe me, im not aiming on scamming anyone, least of all the clients. just need a foot in the door..
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    cheers to everyone for the help.
    believe me, im not aiming on scamming anyone, least of all the clients. just need a foot in the door..
    And, y'know what, good luck to ya. It's not like you're handing out fake BJJ blackbelts. If you can give the clients a good workout they enjoy, what else do you need?
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.