Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Boxing/Boxercise/MMA/PT Classes...Help/Advice!

Default Taking Boxing/Boxercise/MMA/PT Classes...Help/Advice!

Got a job interview at a boxing gym.
    job will be a bit of PT mixed with boxing/boxercise classes.

As part of the interview I've got to run a short boxing for fitness class.

I'm sure a ton of people on here have done this to a decent level, can anyone give me any advice, tips etc.

It seems like I'll be teaching a class of the other applicants, which is daunting enough. and the owner will be assessing the best coaches.

Anyone got any good drills or workouts I could throw in. I've been involved in a lot of classes in my time but not actually run one before and I really can't afford to fuck up.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

lol, you sound about as qualified as most boxercise/PT instructors
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    lol, you sound about as qualified as most boxercise/PT instructors
    True that I'm not going to hide from anyone that I'm inexperienced, but that's all part of lifes learning curve.

I've run group classes before, just not for boxing.

I've just completed my PT Certs, have trained for 3 years and have years of background in coaching and running other sports, just not running a boxing class.

I know what to do and how to do it, just suggestions of drills which work well etc would be appreciated.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

i would avoid any pad work , maybe do some drills using a bag or set up a circuit for people which involves some bagwork, skipping, etc etc etc... i guess it depends on if you are going to train any boxers or just people who want to play at boxing.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    i guess it depends on if you are going to train any boxers or just people who want to play at boxing.
    This is an excellent point. I used to help out at a boxfit class and I spent so much time correcting technique and banging on about theory that they never really got to work up a sweat. All they want to do is hit something and feel like they've had a workout.

I guess, just by asking the interviewer what level you should be coaching it, that might show them you're a bit more switched on about things from the start.

As for the class itself, without getting too specific, just demonstrate that you are good at encouraging people. Pick a number of specific drills/rounds, and just sound knowledgable when you're coaching. It's probably more important that you are likeable to work with than an England level coach.
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    Got a job interview at a boxing gym.
    job will be a bit of PT mixed with boxing/boxercise classes.

As part of the interview I've got to run a short boxing for fitness class.

I'm sure a ton of people on here have done this to a decent level, can anyone give me any advice, tips etc.

It seems like I'll be teaching a class of the other applicants, which is daunting enough. and the owner will be assessing the best coaches.

Anyone got any good drills or workouts I could throw in. I've been involved in a lot of classes in my time but not actually run one before and I really can't afford to fuck up.
    Sorry to piss on your parade but should you really be interviewing for something you've never done before? Especially given the nature of this forum and how funny people can be about coaching.

You've just admmitted you've never coached before and yet you've applied for a coaching position. OK the standard and the type of class isnt your everyday pro MMA gym but the principle is the same? People (or at least one person in there) will expect you to know what you're talking about and will expect you to know how to run a class...

Personally I'd have gotten at least a few months worth coaching experience under the eye of a qualified and recommended coach (your own coach maybe?) before even thinking of applying for a paid position.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    This is an excellent point. I used to help out at a boxfit class and I spent so much time correcting technique and banging on about theory that they never really got to work up a sweat. All they want to do is hit something and feel like they've had a workout.
    This. I can't go to a boxercise class without friends as they all think I'm punching too hard at 5'2".

Just do pad sets with simple combos. Correct minimally but enough to improve slightly. Choose good music which fits with flow of the session. Do a big core set at the end. Sit ups combined with punching pads are popular.

Or just watch youtube and scam it.

i personaly wouldnt do pads with anyone first off, you need to make sure they have wrapped there hands properly and can punch otherwise someone is going to get hurt. Women are techniacly better than guys so thats not the issues, you are likely to get testosterone loaded guys trying to hit the pads as hard as they can to impress the ladies and show you how ard they are and end up fucking your fingers up.. trust me

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Shoulder tip: Partner everyone up, have them play shoulder tip with their jab hand only, they have to tip their opponents lead shoulder with their open hand, while simultaneously blocking his attempts to tap their lead shoulder only using the jab hand. footwork and movement and hand speed all get a work out.

Bag drill: if you have enough bags or can give the others something else to do while they wait for their turn on the bag, you can do a simple but effective bag drill i use, 1 min light fast bag work, encourage them to put in combinations,work off the jab and to sacrifice power for speed, it should be fast and near continuous. then 30 secs heavy single power shots, no combinations. encourage them to concentrate only on landing very solid, heavy contact shots and make sure they include body shots. consider this one set and make them do a few sets without rest inbetween, from light and fast, to heavy and back again without pause, the change in power speed/ gets the heart going and most people will be surprised at how few sets they do of this before they are sweating.

Numbers: partnered padwork sets, you call out the numbers they do the punches. you can just use the standard numbers for punches or you can assign a set piece to each number, and as its a fitness class you can mix up other fitness activities along with your numbers, odds for padwork, evens for other stuff.
    e.g.

1) 1,2 combo

2) 5 push-ups

3)1,2,3 combo

4) 5 situps

5) weave, 3,2 counter

6) 3 diamond pushups

etc, etc

dont go too high in the numbers or people will forget what to do , also the more numbers there are the longer it will take you to explain each one and that is time people are not training. i sometime use this method to teach a progression of techniques. i teach the first 4 numbers and drill everyone on them, then do something else and come back to it for a quick refresher, then teach the next 4 and drill those in isolation before reintroducing the first 4 so now they have 8 different techniques that i want them to do. if i have already taught the first 4 i can have half the class doing numbers while the others are doing the bag drill and then swap them out.

I dont mind helping you out to get a job, but dont forget that blagging an interview is one thing, but bilking customers is another, you should start attending other fitness boxing classes in your area and build up a base of experience, so that you are giving a valuable service to the customer.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogmma View Post
    Shoulder tip: Partner everyone up, have them play shoulder tip with their jab hand only, they have to tip their opponents lead shoulder with their open hand, while simultaneously blocking his attempts to tap their lead shoulder only using the jab hand. footwork and movement and hand speed all get a work out.
    I remember we did something very similar to this in the very first boxfit session at the gym. We gave them pegs to stick on their tops, and the idea was to grab your opponent's peg (mmmmatron!), whilst protecting your own. Anyway, that was the first and last "peg game" session, after we got an eyeful of side-boob, numerous times.
    Tea Drinker for Life, but preaching tolerance for the Children of Coffee.